- Promote safe and expeditious flights in the National Airspace System (NAS).
- Ensure accessibility to timely aeronautical and meteorological information.
- Provide customer oriented, value-added services.
- Support the Air Traffic Organization (ATO) as it achieves its global strategies of air traffic management harmonization, standardization, advocacy, and technical and operational support.
- Integrate an upgraded and modernized system to provide flight services for the Contiguous United States (CONUS), Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Alaska.
What We Do
Flight Service manages program objectives, strategies and plans for providing preflight planning, inflight advisory operations, and search and rescue coordination services both in Alaska (provided exclusively by government personnel) and the CONUS, Puerto Rico and Hawaii (managed by the A-76 contract Service Provider, Lockheed Martin). Flight Service ensures that Lockheed Martin fulfills the obligations of the A-76 contract and meets established Performance Measures. In addition, Flight Service provides oversight of flight services performance, costs and customer satisfaction within the National Airspace System (NAS).
Flight Service Stations (FSSs) are air traffic facilities which provide pilot briefings, flight plan processing, inflight radio communications, search and rescue (SAR) services, and assistance to lost aircraft and aircraft in emergency situations. FSSs also relay Air Traffic Control (ATC) clearances, process NOTAMs, broadcast aviation meteorological and aeronautical information, and notify Customs and Border Protection of trans border flights.
Flight Service is Moving Forward
Flight Service is encouraging the development of new pilot services and products. New content delivery methods will make communication with the pilot community easier and faster. The goal is to help make aviation safer by making weather information accessible where and when you need it. Targeted, flight-specific updates will make it easier for you to stay current on the weather, without the information clutter.
Through the Flight Service NAS Efficient Streamlined Services (FSNESS), Flight Service can provide efficiencies and value for its stakeholders by:
- Expanding the use of existing and developing technologies for functions that support FAA's critical safety mission
- Redesigning processes to optimize service delivery
- Eliminating redundancies and underutilized activities
- Learn more about Flight Service Program Changes
- Flight Service NAS Efficient Streamlined Services (FSNESS) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Simplified guidance for filing a domestic ICAO Flight Plan
- Radio Communication Outlets Master List (PDF) (MS Excel)
- MITRE Briefing on Radio Reduction
- Safety as the Highest Priority
- Foster Web-based Services and Automation
- Strengthen FAA-Pilot Relationships
- Improve the User Experience
- Technological Innovation and Leadership
- Fiscal Responsibility and Efficiency