The Airport Improvement Program (AIP) provides grants to public agencies — and, in some cases, to private owners and entities — for the planning and development of public-use airports that are included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS). See the AIP Glossary for a description of AIP-related terms.
- Overview: What is AIP & What Airports/Projects are Eligible?
- 2021 AIP Grants
- Acquiring Land for Airports and Relocation Assistance
- AIP Grant Payments - Delphi eInvoicing
- Benefit-Cost Analysis
- Economically Distressed Communities (EAS/EDA Determinations)
- Grant Assurances for the AIP
- Letter of Intent (LOI) Program
- Military Airport Program (MAP)
- Procurement and Contracting Under AIP
- State Block Grant Program
- Supplemental Appropriation
Order 5090.5, Formulation of the NPIAS-ACIP
This Order establishes guidelines for managing and maintaining two federal plans that are essential to airport development: the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS) and the Airports Capital Improvement Plan (ACIP). The Order also discusses the NPIAS project database that supports these plans and its use for preparing the Secretary of Transportation's biennial NPIAS Report. This new Order replaces both Order 5100.39A, Airports Capital Improvement Plan and Order 5090.3, Field Formulation of the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS).
Advisory Circulars (ACs)
Airport Competition Plans
- 2022 Competition Plan Covered Airports (PDF) (updated 11/9/21)
- Airport Competition Plans: Highlights of Reported Actions to Reduce Barriers to Entry and Enhance Competitive Access (Appended 2014) (PDF)
- Airport Business Practices and their Impact on Airline Competition (PDF)
Data, Tools, & Resources
- AIP Glossary
- AIP Grant/Apportionment Data
- AIP Grant Histories
- Airport Acronyms
- Airports Capital Improvement Plan (ACIP)
- FAA Acquisition System Toolset (FAST)
- Non-Federal Program for NavAids and AWOS
Program regulates most non-Federally owned AWOS and NavAids.
- NPIAS Airports (2019-2023) (MS Excel)
- Passenger Boarding (Enplanement) & All-Cargo Data
- Residential Through-the-Fence Access Toolkit
Guidance & Policy
- AIP Handbook (Order 5100.38)
- AIP Grant Oversight Risk Model Policy (PDF)
- Assessment of Innovative Financing Options for the AIP (PDF)
- ACC/FAA Best Practices, 2008 (PDF)
- Best Practices-Surface Access To Airports (PDF)
- FAA Review of Construction Plans and Specifications for AIP Funded Projects (PDF)
- Interim Guidance on Proposed Commercial Space Facilities and Operations at Federally Obligated or Part 139 Airports (PDF)
- Land Options Used in Federally Funded Airport Projects (PDF)
|Request for Advance or Reimbursement (PDF)||SF 270||This is a fillable PDF.|
|Application for Federal Assistance - fillable PDF (PDF)
Note: Some browsers have trouble opening this file. If you experience this, save the PDF to your desktop and open the file from there.
|SF 424||See the Sample SF 424 for CARES Act applications. (Sample applies to non-development grants only. For CARES Act Airport Grants for airport development, contact your ADO or Regional office.)
This is a fillable PDF.
|Application for Development and Equipment Projects (Parts II–IV)||5100-100||Continuation of SF 424 for application for land, development, and equipment projects
Instructions (included in form)
Part II A & C
Part III A–E
|Construction Project Final Acceptance - Airport Improvement Program Sponsor Certification||5100-129||Airport sponsors use this form to certify they have completed or will complete key requirements before final project acceptance of construction projects funded under the Airport Improvement Program.
This is a fillable PDF.
Recent Federal Register Notices
|Deadline for Notification of Intent To Use the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) Primary, Cargo, and Nonprimary Entitlement Funds Available to Date for Fiscal Year 2021 (86 FR 10070) (PDF)||2/18/2021|
|Deadlines for Notice of Intent and Submission of Final Grant Application for Airport Improvement Program Primary, Cargo, and Nonprimary Entitlement Funds Available to Date for Fiscal Year 2020 (85 FR 22784) (PDF)
Note: This action extends to May 4, 2020, and June 15, 2020, respectively, the deadlines for an airport sponsor to give notice of intent to use FY 2020 AIP entitlement funds and to submit a final grant application.