The FAA certifies the design of aircraft and components that are used in civil aviation operations. We are performance-based, proactive, centered on managing risk, and focused on continuous improvement. Aircraft certification has relied on the exchange of information and technical data which has helped reduce risk of commercial aviation fatalities by 94 percent over the past 20 years.
The use of designees has been a part of the fabric of global aviation for decades. Congress specifically directed the FAA to make full use of delegation authority in the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018.
- Renew a Reserved N Number Online
- Search Aircraft Registration Information
- Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch
- Aircraft Registration Legal Opinions
- FAA and Industry Guide to Product Certification
- FAA Order 8110.4, Type Certification
- Field Approvals