The Environmental Policy Team falls under the Airspace Policy and ATC Procedures Group, handling environmental matters for Mission Support Services for ATO. The team develops environmental policy, standards, and guidance and provides technical advice to FAA headquarters, service areas, and field offices. The team also represents Mission Support Services at meetings and conferences on environmental activities that affect air traffic operations and the National Airspace System (NAS).
What's Happening Now
- The Draft Environmental Assessment for the Southern California Metroplex Project was released on June 10th, 2015 for public review and comment.
- The FAA is extending the public comment period for its Draft Environmental Assessment (EA) of the Southern California Metroplex project to September 8, 2015, to allow for a full 90 days of comment.
- The final Environmental Assessment for the Atlanta Metroplex Project is available for review.
- Final Environmental Assessment – Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) and Record of Decision (ROD) for the Charlotte Optimization of the Airspace and Procedures in the Metroplex (CLT OAPM) (PDF) (signed May 19, 2015)
- FAA's Record of Decision to Adopt U.S. Air Force Final Environmental Impact Statement for the Powder River Training Complex (PDF) (signed March 24, 2015)
The FAA's airspace redesign efforts are important to enhance capacity and meet the demand for air travel, which is rebounding to levels experienced in 2000. Airspace redesign efforts have played and will continue to play a critical role in enhancing capacity, transitioning to more flexible routing, and reducing delays.
Learn more about Environmental Reviews »
Applicable Environmental Regulations & Policy
Regulations, orders, and guidance documents typically referenced for all project-related environmental reviews.
Read more about Applicable Environmental Regulations & Policy »
Environmental Analysis Tools
The Environmental Policy Team helps develop and ensure that the latest noise and air quality impact evaluation tools are used in assessing environmental impacts of FAA's airspace projects.
Learn more about Environmental Analysis Tools »