Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Pharmaceuticals (Therapeutic Medications)
Diabetes Mellitus - Type II, Medication Controlled (Not Insulin)
- Code of Federal Regulations
- Medical History: Item 18.k. Diabetes.
The applicant should describe the condition to include symptoms and treatment. Comment on the presence or absence of hyperglycemic and/or hypoglycemic episodes. A medical history or clinical diagnosis of diabetes mellitus requiring insulin or other hypoglycemic drugs for control is disqualifying. The Examiner can help expedite the FAA review by assisting the applicant in gathering medical records and submitting a current specialty report such as the Diabetes or Hyperglycemia on Oral Medications Status Report (PDF). See Item 48.
- Aeromedical Decision Considerations: See Item 48, Diabetes
- Protocol: See Diabetes Mellitus Type II - Medication Controlled
- Pharmaceutical Considerations:Combination of insulin with other anti-diabetes medication(s): The chart of Acceptable Combinations of Diabetes Medications (PDF) summarizes the acceptable medications for both monotherapy and combination therapy. The chart organizes medications into groups based on similarity of mechanisms of actions and/or therapeutic effects.