On February 14, 2012, the President signed Public Law 112-95, also known as the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (the Act). Section 813 of the Act, Use of Mineral Revenue at Certain Airports, grants the FAA Administrator the authority to exempt a defined amount of airport revenue generated from mineral extraction activities on general aviation airports from statutory, grant assurance, and policy obligations if specific conditions are met. Compliance Guidance Letter (CGL) 2012-01 (PDF) provides guidance to FAAs Airports personnel and FAA block grant state personnel responsible for general aviation airports requesting exemptions in accordance with Section 813.
- Notice of Guidance and Opportunity to Comment, Airport Improvement Program (AIP): Use of Mineral Revenue at Certain Airports (PDF) (77 FR 30350; May 22, 2012)
Mineral Rights Revenue Exemption Guidance
- Compliance Guidance Letter 2012-01: FAA Implementation of Public Law 112-95 Section 813, Use of Mineral Revenue at Certain Airports (PDF)
- Airport Sponsor Assurances (PDF)
See change to Grant Assurance 25(a)(3): Airport Revenues.
- Appendix A, Public Law 112-95, Section 813 Use of Mineral Revenue at Certain Airports (PDF)
- Appendix B-1, Sponsor Submission Application (PDF)
- Appendix C-1, Sponsor Agreements (PDF) (updated 5/23/2012)
- Appendix D-1, Sponsor Project Identification Statement (PDF)
- Appendix E-1, Final Determination - Exemption Agreement (PDF)
- Appendix E-2, Application Processing Flowchart (PDF)
- Appendix F-1, Sponsor Annual Project(s) Financial Statement (PDF)
For more information on Mineral Rights Revenue Exemption Guidance, contact FAA Office of Airports, Compliance Division (ACO-100).
See also . . .
The FAA has also issued interim guidance on mineral extraction on and near federally obligated airports. The guidance on extraction activities is not subject to the statutory requirements governing revenue exemption under Section 813 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act.
- Interim Guidance on Mineral Extraction and Request for Data Update (PDF, 1.77 MB) (added 10/10/2012)