Beginning in 2010, the FAA began a national review of the general aviation airports resulting in two reports, General Aviation Airports: A National Asset issued in May 2012 and ASSET 2 issued in March 2014.
General Aviation Airports: A National Asset (ASSET 1)
General Aviation Airports: A National Asset documents an 18-month study of the nearly 3,000 general aviation (GA) airports, heliports, and seaplane bases identified in the FAA's National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS). This indepth analysis highlights for the traveling public the pivotal role GA airports play in our society, economy, and the aviation system. The study also aligns the GA airports into four categories---national, regional, local, and basic---based on their existing activity levels. The new categories better capture their diverse functions and the economic contributions GA airports make to their communities and the Nation.
- 2012 ASSET Narrative (PDF, 5.78 MB)
- 2012 ASSET Appendix A - Technical Analyses (PDF, 4.1 MB)
- A-1 - Criteria Used to Categorize the General Aviation Airports
- A-2 - Key Findings from the New General Aviation Airport Categories
- A-3 - An Analysis of Aircraft User Group Spending
- A-4 - Regression Test for Consistency
- 2012 ASSET Appendix B - Airport Listings: PDF (1.95 MB), MS Excel (1.65 MB)
- B-1 - Summary by State
- B-2 - List of General Aviation Airports in the Four New Categories
- B-3 - List of General Aviation Airports Not Classified
ASSET 2: In-Depth Review of 497 Unclassified Airports
The original study was unable to categorize a number of airports. ASSET 2: In-Depth Review of the 497 Unclassified Airports documents the results of a 2014 follow-on study of these facilities.
- 2014 ASSET 2 Report (PDF, 1.85 MB)
- Executive Summary
- The Review Process
- Disposition of the 497 Airports
- Appendix 1: ASSET 1 Categories and Criteria
- Appendix 2: Breakout of Unclassified, by State
- Appendix 3: Airport Disposition by State (PDF, 1.11 MB)
See also . . .
- FAA Completes Second Study of General Aviation Airports (Mar. 20, 2014)
- FAA Launches Second Phase of General Aviation Airports Study (Feb. 12, 2013)
- FAA Issues General Aviation Airports Study (May 15, 2012)
- FAA Launches Study of General Aviation Airports (June 29, 2011)
- National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS)
- Airport Improvement Program (AIP)