14 CFR Part 139 prescribes rules governing the certification and operation of airports in any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, or any territory or possession of the United States serving any scheduled passenger-carrying operations of an air carrier operating aircraft designed for more than 9 passenger seats and unscheduled operations of an air carrier operating aircraft designed for at least 31 passenger seats.
This part also applies to those portions of a joint-use or shared-use airport that are within the authority of a person serving passenger-carrying operations. This part does not apply to airports serving scheduled air carrier operations only by reason of being designated as an alternate airport.
- Airport Contingency Planning (PDF)
- Airport Safety Self Inspection (presentation) (PDF)
- Part 139 process overview
- Burn facility contacts
- CertAlert bulletins (Southern Region)
- Certification Inspection Schedule (PDF)
- Operational Safety on Airports During Construction (brochure) (PDF)
- Reporting Hurricane Field Condition (PDF)
- Standards for Aircraft Fuel Servicing & Fuel Safety Training (PDF)
- Tips for Operational Safety On Airports During Construction (PDF)
- The Wildlife Hazard Problem, Assessment, & Management Plan (PDF)
- USDA Wildlife Services contacts
Available training DVDs
The below DVDs were produced by the FAA Office of Airports and are available on request from us while supplies last.
- Request a DVD: Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting CBT (3 disc sets)
- Request a DVD: Introductuction to Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting (ARFF)
- Request a DVD: Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting - Aircraft Forcible Entry, Fire Fighting with the HRET, Cargo Aircraft Fire Fighting
- Request a DVD: Airport Safety Self-Inspection
National Policy and Guidance
Part 139 Airports
- Part 139 Airport Certification Status List (MS Excel) (updated 10/7/2014)
List of certificated airports by state, name, associated city, and identifier. It also identifies Part 139 classification, ARFF index, inactive status, and large hub airports.
- Advisory Circulars
- Application for Certificate, Form 5280-1
- Part 139 Presentation (MS PowerPoint)
- Part 139 Presentation: Safety Enhancements Final Rule (2013) (PDF) (added 9/13/2013)
- Sample Airport Certification Manual (PDF) | MS Word
- Small Entity (SBREFA) Compliance Guide (PDF) | MS Word (1.30 MB)
- See also Regulation, Final Rule, and Related Documents