An aircraft is eligible for U.S. Registration if it is not registered in another country and it is owned by:
- An individual who is a United States citizen,
- A partnership each of whose partners is an individual who is a U.S. citizen,
A corporation or association:
- organized under the laws of the U.S. or a State, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory or possession,
- of which the president and at least two-thirds of the board of directors and other managing officers are U.S citizens, and
- in which at least 75% of the voting interest is owned or controlled by persons that are U.S. citizens,
- An individual citizen of a foreign country lawfully admitted for permanent residence in the U.S.,
- A U.S. governmental unit or subdivision
- A non-U.S. citizen corporation organized and doing business under the laws of the U.S. or one of the States as long as the aircraft is based and primarily used in the U.S. (60% of all flight hours must be from flights starting and ending within the U.S.)
Registering Your Aircraft
An aircraft may be registered only by and in the legal name of its owner.
To register an aircraft send the following to the Aircraft Registration Branch:
- an Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1,
- evidence of ownership (such as one or more bills of sale)
- the $5.00 registration fee made payable to the Federal Aviation Administration
You must use an original Aircraft Registration Application, AC Form 8050-1. We do not accept photocopies or computer-generated copies of this form. Aircraft Registration Applications may be obtained from the Aircraft Registration Branch or your local FAA Flight Standards District Office (FSDO)
If you use a P.O. Box as a mailing address, you must also provide your street or physical location on the application.
The Aircraft Registration Application must include the typed or printed name of each signer with their signature in the signature block.
Each signer must also show their title as appropriate to their position to sign for the applicant, ie. Individual owner, co-owner, partner, managing member; or corporate officer: like president, vice president, secretary, or manager;
Additional Information forAircraft Owned by a Limited Liability Corporation (PDF, 9 KB)
Aircraft Owned under a Personal or Family Trust
Amateur Built Aircraft
Light Sport Aircraft
Registration for Aircraft Committed to International Operation
Unmanned Aircraft Registration - NEW ITEM
For general information, review:
Information to Aid in the Registration of U.S. Civil Aircraft (PDF, 36 KB)
Contact the Aircraft Registration Branch by phone, e-mail, or letter if you have a registration question that is not addressed in these pages.