NextGen is Working
NextGen is everywhere, improving the daily operations of the entire National Airspace System.
Tracking and separating aircraft has become better and safer.
A major nationwide infrastructure upgrade is complete. We are prepared to handle the changes and increase of traffic in the National Airspace System.
Performance Based Navigation is delivering more direct routes, decongested skies, and increased efficiencies in major metropolitan areas through Metroplex and Equivalent Lateral Spacing Operations.
Improvements in safety and efficiency.
NextGen expects to deliver $160.6 billion in benefits through 2030.*
$39.7 Billion - Airline Benefits
- $9.4 billion Fuel savings
- $30.2 billion Reduction in crew and maintenance costs
- $125 million Additional airline flights
$6.5 Billion - FAA & Industry Benefits
- $1.4 billion FAA efficiencies (e.g. System Wide Information Management)
- $5.1 billion Safety
$114.4 Billion - Society Benefits
- $114.2 billion Passenger value of time
- $212 million Reduction in carbon dioxide emissions
*Estimated Benefits of NextGen Capabilities 2010 - 2030. Details of NextGen benefit calculations can be found in the "Update to the Business Case for the NextGen based on the Future of the NAS report" (dated July 2016). This chart was updated August 2016.