NextGen is Working
NextGen is everywhere, improving the daily operations of the entire National Airspace System.
Tracking and separating aircraft has become better and safer.
A major nationwide infrastructure upgrade is complete. We are prepared to handle the changes and increase of traffic in the National Airspace System.
Performance Based Navigation is delivering more direct routes, decongested skies, and increased efficiencies in major metropolitan areas through Metroplex and Equivalent Lateral Spacing Operations.
Improvements in safety and efficiency.
Once all planned programs are in place, FAA expects NextGen to deliver $134 billion in direct airline, industry, and passenger benefits (passenger value of time and carbon dioxide emissions) through 2030.
Society Benefits $80.1 Billion
- $79.7 billion passenger value of time
- $400 million reduction in carbon dioxide emissions
Airline Benefits $51.4 Billion
- $37.1 billion reduction in crew and maintenance costs
- $14.3 billion fuel savings
- $2 billion FAA efficiencies (e.g. System Wide Information Management)
Industry Benefits $2.4 Billion
- $200 million additional airline flights
- $200 million additional airport passengers
Achieving all NextGen future benefits is dependent upon full funding of FAA's 2015 budget requests from 2015-2019.
The $134 billion includes $1 billion of additional benefits estimated by McKinsey Consulting.