Section 2. Terms of Reference
- WORD MEANINGS
As used in this order:
- “Must” means a procedure is mandatory.
- “Should” means a procedure is recommended.
- “May” or “need not” means a procedure is optional.
- “Will” means futurity, not a requirement for application of a procedure.
- “Must not” means a procedure is prohibited.
- Singular words include the plural.
- Plural words include the singular.
- “Aircraft” means the airframe, crew members, or both.
- “Altitude” means indicated altitude mean sea level (MSL), flight level (FL), or both.
- “Miles” means nautical miles unless otherwise specified and means statute miles in conjunction with visibility.
- “Time,” when used for ATC operational activities, is the hour and the minute/s in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Change to the next minute is made at the minute plus 30 seconds, except time checks are given to the nearest quarter minute. The word “local” or the time zone equivalent must be stated when local time is given during radio and telephone communications. The term “ZULU” may be used to denote UTC.
- “Sector,” when used in conjunction with flight service station (FSS) functions, means a specifically described geographic area that is assigned a National Airspace Data Interchange Network (NADIN) address.
- “Tie-in facility,” as indicated in FAA Order JO 7350.9, Location Identifiers, for the purposes of this order, designates the responsible facility/sector for sending/receiving flight plans, flight notification messages, and performing search and rescue duties for the listed location.
- “Shared database” is a database within an FSS operational system that is accessible by specialists in other geographical locations.
- “Transmit” means to send data via NADIN or Weather Message Switching Center Replacement (WMSCR) to an outside recipient or to process data internally within an operational system that shares a global database.
- “Form” means a paper record or an automated equivalent. Both must be retained in accordance with FAA directives.
- “History files” means one or more digital or paper repositories of data that must be retained in accordance with FAA directives.
- “Pertinent” means relating directly and significantly to the matter at hand.
Statements of fact or of an explanatory nature and relating to the use of directive material have been identified and worded as “Notes.”
Any illustration used which serves to explain subject material is identified as an “Example.”
Phraseology depicted in this order is mandatory.
Exceptions to this paragraph are referenced in Paragraph 5-1-1, Emergency Determination
Abbreviations authorized for use in the application of the procedures in this order are those contained in FAA Order JO 7340.2, Contractions.
- JO 7110.10 CHANGES
- Each reprinted, revised, or additional page will show the change number and the effective date of the change.
- Bold lines in the margin of the text will mark the location of all changes except editorial corrections.
- SYSTEM INSTRUCTIONS
Different operational systems are used to provide flight services within the
United States. Each individual operational system must have instructions in the form of a user's manual or guide,
either electronically or in paper form, that provide the necessary steps to accomplish the requirements set forth in
Where databases are shared, local procedures may be used to facilitate the handling of flight data across the flight plan area boundaries.