Operators of Part 139 airports must provide aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) services during air carrier operations that require a Part 139 certificate. The guidance and resources below address ARFF training, ARFF vehicles, and other aviation fire and rescue requirements. More on Part 139 >>
- August 3, 2016: Airport Cooperative Research Program Synthesis 73: Emergency Communications Planning for Airports This report discusses emergency communications planning. Designed for use by airport senior management, public information officers, first responders, and emergency managers, the report includes sample communication plan tables of contents, field operations guides, and a checklist of effective communications plans.
- July 15, 2016: Airport Cooperative Research Program Synthesis 72, Tabletop and Full-Scale Emergency Exercises for General Aviation, Non-Hub, and Small Hub Airports
This report provides small airports with the tools for practicing emergency response, including sample exercise tools and plans, a checklist of effective practices for tabletop and full-scale emergency exercises, and a road map for developing an effective exercise program.
- February 19, 2015: Department of Defense (DoD) Qualified Product Database (QPD)
Airport operators holding FAA Airport Operating Certificates can use the QPD to ensure any Aqueous Film Forming Foam (AFFF) they purchase conforms to MIL-F-24385.
- Receive email alerts when this page is updated!
Part 139 Airports and Requirements
- Part 139 Airport Certification Status List (including ARFF Index) (MS Excel)
- Part 139, Certification of Airports
ARFF and First Responder Training
- Introduction to Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF)
- Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting: Aircraft Forcible Entry, Firefighting with the High Reach Extendible Turret, and Cargo Aircraft Firefighting (added 11/30/2015)
- Ballistic Parachute System Familiarization (Module 4)
- Systems and Material Hazards for Rescuers (module 5)
- First Responder Safety at a Small Aircraft or Helicopter Accident
- Advisory Circulars
- Part 139 CertAlerts
- All Safety Alerts for Operators (SAFOs)
- FAA Technical Center Reports
- Airport Cooperative Research Program Reports
- Transportation Research Board Resources
View the Complete List of Airport CertAlerts
|DOT/FAA/TC-14/22||Impact of Alternative Fuels present in Airports on Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Response|
|DOT/FAA/TC-13/30||Full-Scale Evaluation of ARFF Tactics for Cargo Fires on Freighter Aircraft|
|DOT/FAA/TC-TN12/34||Test and Evaluation of Rear-Wheel Steering for Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting Vehicles--Part 2|
|10017||Risks in Transporting Lithium Batteries in Cargo by Aircraft (PDF)|
|10016||Missing or Improper Seat Stops in Cessna Model (PDF)|
View the Complete List of SAFOs
|Conference Proceedings 47||Research on the Transmission of Disease in Airports and on Aircraft|
|Conference Proceedings 41||Interagency-Aviation Industry Collaboration on Planning for Pandemic Outbreaks|
|National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 525||Guidelines for Transportation Emergency Training Exercises|
Visit the TRB Website