Operators of Part 139 airports must provide aircraft rescue and firefighting (ARFF) services during air carrier operations that require a Part 139 certificate. The guidance and resources below address ARFF training, ARFF vehicles, and other aviation fire and rescue requirements. More on Part 139 >>
- August 7, 2014: Airport Cooperative Research Program (ACRP) Report 103: A Guidebook for Integrating NIMS for Personnel and Resources at Airports
This report provides guidance for the integration of the National Incident Management System (NIMS) into airport response plans for incidents, accidents, and events. It addresses common NIMS and incident command terminology, outlines incident command structures for various situations relative to their complexity, includes sample plans from airports and training outlines, and provides a matrix of suggested training for airport staff.
- August 5, 2014: ACRP Report 112: Airport Terminal Incident Response Planning
This report summarizes the development and use of a tool that creates and maintains integrated incident response plans that address hazards in and around airport terminals. It includes a user's guide that provides a step-by-step process of generating incident response plans and is accompanied by a tool that can help generate these plans.
- March 12, 2014: Access the 2012 Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG)
Part 139 requires first responders to have access to the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration's (PHMSA's) Emergency Response Guidebook. The ERG helps first responders deal with hazmat accidents during the critical first 30 minutes. On the PHMSA website, first responders can access a list of state emergency management coordinators to get a free copy of the ERG. The public can find out how to purchase a hardcopy or access a free electronic version. The site also explains how to access the new ERG mobile app.
- Receive email alerts when this page is updated!
Part 139 Airports and Requirements
- Part 139 Airport Certification Status List (including ARFF Index) (MS Excel)
- Part 139, Certification of Airports
ARFF and First Responder Training
- Ballistic Parachute System Familiarization (Module 4)
- Systems and Material Hazards for Rescuers (module 5)
- First Responder Safety at a Small Aircraft or Helicopter Accident
View the Complete List of Airport CertAlerts
|10017||Risks in Transporting Lithium Batteries in Cargo by Aircraft (PDF)|
|10016||Missing or Improper Seat Stops in Cessna Model (PDF)|
View the Complete List of SAFOs
|Conference Proceedings 47||Research on the Transmission of Disease in Airports and on Aircraft|
|Conference Proceedings 41||Interagency-Aviation Industry Collaboration on Planning for Pandemic Outbreaks|
|National Cooperative Highway Research Program Report 525||Guidelines for Transportation Emergency Training Exercises|
Visit the TRB Website
- FAA Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Research Program
- Aircraft Rescue & Fire Fighting Vehicle Rollover Study On-Line Reporting System
- Airport Safety Reports