Radiobiology Research Team
Our Research Focus
The Radiobiology Research Team performs research on the effects of ionizing and
non-ionizing radiation on living systems, identifies radiation hazards in the aviation
environment, and studies methods of protection from such hazards.
The CARI-6 computer program, developed at the FAA's Civil Aerospace Medical Institute,
calculates the effective dose of galactic cosmic radiation received by an individual (based on
an anthropomorphic phantom) on an aircraft flying the shortest route (a geodesic) between any
two airports in the world. The program takes into account changes in altitude and geographic
location during the course of a flight, as derived from the flight profile entered by the user.
- How CARI-6 Works
- Information on the latest version of CARI-6
- Download the latest version of CARI-6 (7 July 2004)
- How CARI-6M works and differs from CARI-6
- Information on the latest version of CARI-6M
- Download the latest version of CARI-6M (3 December 2001)