Section 8. Center Weather Advisory (CWA)
A Center Weather Advisory () is an unscheduled weather advisory for conditions meeting or approaching national in-flight advisory (, , or ) criteria. It is primarily used by aircrews to anticipate and avoid adverse weather conditions in the en route and terminal environments.
- CWAs are valid for up to 2 hours and may include forecasts of conditions expected to begin within 2 hours of issuance. If conditions are expected to persist after the advisory's valid period, a statement to that effect is included in the last line of the text. Additional CWAs will subsequently be issued as appropriate. The CWSU will issue a CWA:
- When necessary to supplement an existing WS, WST, or WA for the purpose of refining or updating the location, movement, extent, or intensity of the weather event relevant to the 's area of responsibility.
- When an inflight advisory has not yet been issued, but the observed or expected weather conditions meet WS, WST or WA criteria based on current pilot reports and reinforced by other sources of information concerning existing meteorological conditions.
- When observed, or developing weather conditions do not meet WS, WST or WA criteria but current pilot reports or other weather information sources indicate that an existing, or anticipated, meteorological phenomena will adversely affect the safe flow of air traffic within the ARTCC's area of responsibility.
- The CWA will describe the location of the phenomenon using ARTCC relevant points of reference, such as s, and will include the height, extent, intensity, and movement of the phenomenon. Each CWA will have a phenomenon number.
- The format of the CWA communications header is: (ARTCC designator)(phenomenon number) CWA (date/time issued in UTC)/(ARTCC designator) CWA (issuance number) VALID UNTIL (date/time in UTC)/(FROM) (affected area)/(text).
ZOB1 CWA 032141
ZOB CWA 101 VALID UNTIL 032300
FROM 10S DET TO 40N DJB TO 40E SBN TO 80SE MKG
LN SEV TSTMS WITH EXTRM PCPN MOVG FROM 2525 3/4 INCH HAIL RPRTD LAST 5 MINS 20 SW YIP.
TSTMS WITH HVY TO EXTRM PCPN CONTG DTW AREA BYD 2300
ZKC1 CWA 121528
ZKC CWA 102 VALID UNTIL 121728
STL DIAM 30 NM. NMRS RPTS OF MOD TO SEV ICG 080/090.. LGT OR NEG ICG RPTD 040/120 RMNDR OF ZKC AREA AND NE OF AREA.
The CWA will be distributed to ARTCC area supervisors and traffic management coordinators and will be entered through FAA AISR and other communications media to make it available for dissemination to other FAA and NWS facilities.