Section 6. Discontinuance of Military and Non-Federal NAVAIDs
When notice of discontinuance of a military, other government, or non-Federal NAVAID is received, it must be forwarded to the appropriate service area office for processing.
Upon receipt of the notice, the responsible service area office must, in conjunction with the Technical Operations service area office, Airports Division, and the FPT, determine if:
- The NAVAID forms part of the Federal airway/route system.
- An airspace designation is predicated upon the NAVAID.
- The NAVAID is used for a published civil instrument procedure.
- If none of the conditions in paragraph exist, the air traffic office must notify user groups and other interested persons of the name of the facility, its location, and the date of discontinuance without resorting to the nonrulemaking process.
- If any of the conditions in paragraph exist, the appropriate air traffic office must:
- Initiate the nonrulemaking process by circularizing a proposal to user groups and other interested persons for comment.
- Coordinate with Technical Operations Services to determine feasibility of FAA takeover.
- If discontinuance of the NAVAID is to be pursued, ensure that the airspace designated on the NAVAID is revoked or modified and that instrument procedures predicated on that NAVAID are canceled before the effective date of discontinuance.
Refer to paragraphs 4-5-8 and 4-5-9 of this order for requirements applicable to the discontinuance of NAVAIDs that are referenced in ICAO Air Navigation Plans.