Airworthiness Directives (ADs) are legally enforceable rules issued by the FAA in accordance with 14 CFR part 39 to correct an unsafe condition in a product. 14 CFR part 39 defines a product as an aircraft, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance.
AD Development and Issuance
FAA Order 8040.1 defines the FAA�s authority and responsibility for the development and issuance of ADs.
- Responsibilities (FAA, Type Certificate owner, aircraft owner/operator)
- Applicability and Compliance
- Content & Format Guidelines
- Incorporation by Reference
- Issuance and Publication
- Types of Airworthiness Directives
- Alternative Method of Compliance
Check here for information about the Airworthiness Directive Implementation Aviation Rulemaking Committee (AD ARC), chartered August 2009.