Runway 9C/27C Opened November 5, 2020
The Chicago Department of Aviation completed Runway 9C/27C on November 5, 2020, as part of its broader effort to modernize O'Hare International Airport. It is the last new full runway built as part of the O'Hare Modernization Program. This video offers information on how the new runway is used.
In 2005, the FAA published an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) and ultimately issued a Record of Decision (ROD) for the modernization of O'Hare International Airport. The City of Chicago is proceeding with the proposed improvements to the Airport through its O'Hare Modernization Program (OMP), which will reconfigure the older airfield (PDF) into a more efficient runway, terminal, and roadway system associated with a new airfield (PDF), reducing delays and increasing capacity to meet future aviation needs.
A Written Re-Evaluation of the EIS was conducted in 2015 to evaluate changes associated with the airfield construction schedule modification that alters the timing for commissioning new Runway 10R/28L, new Runway 9C/27C, and the extension of Runway 9R/27L. The runways and extension were included in the original EIS, but are now scheduled for different completion dates than those in the original EIS.
A Written Re-Evaluation of the EIS was completed in July 2019 for the Interim Fly Quiet Runway Rotation Plan. The Interim Fly Quiet will occur during two periods between November 2019 and January 2021.
Topics of Interest
- Interim Fly Quiet Re-Evaluation
- 2015 Re-Evaluation of the O'Hare Modernization EIS
- Re-Evaluation Simulation Modeling
- Airport and Airspace Simulation Modeling for the 2005 EIS
- 2005 O'Hare Modernization Environmental Impact Statement and Record of Decision
- Freedom of Information Act Material Releases
- O'Hare Modernization Funding
- O'Hare Modernization Planning
- O'Hare Fly Quiet Test
- O'Hare Noise Compatibility Commission (ONCC)
- Airport Noise Management System (CDA)
If you have any problems accessing any of the information presented on this website, please email email@example.com or call (847) 294-7131.