USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

I already have a pilot certificate issued under Part 61. Do I need to obtain a remote pilot certificate to fly a UAS or drone under the Small UAS Rule (Part 107)?

Yes. To act as a remote pilot in command under Part 107, you must have a remote pilot certificate. However, part 61 pilot certificate holders who have completed a flight review within the past 24 months may elect to take an online training course focusing on UAS-specific areas of knowledge instead of the aeronautical knowledge test. The online training for current pilot certificate holders is available at (ALC-451: Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems). All other members of the public must take and pass the initial aeronautical knowledge test to obtain a remote pilot certificate.

Still can't find what you are looking for? Please feel free to contact the UAS Support Center for general questions and comments.