The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) uses social media sites like Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), LinkedIn, Medium and YouTube to engage with individuals and organizations about topics related to the FAA's aviation safety mission and goals to educate and inform the public about aerospace.
This guidance will help you understand the agency’s policy for commenting and responding to comments on the FAA’s social media posts.
- Content Disclaimer
- Acceptable Comments
- Unacceptable Comments
- Comment Review Period
- FAA Privacy Notice
The FAA's official website is www.faa.gov. The FAA cannot attest to the accuracy of all the information provided by a third-party site, social media platform or any other non-FAA.gov linked sites. Posted comments and images do not necessarily represent the views of the FAA. External, non-FAA links on these sites do not constitute official endorsement on behalf of the FAA.
We welcome your comments, ideas, and concerns. We expect conversations to follow the conventions of civil discourse. While we encourage followers to share thoughts and opinions on the FAA’s social media pages, we expect that comments will be expressed in a respectful manner.
The FAA does not agree with or endorse every comment that individuals post on our pages. Our goal is to share ideas and information with as many individuals as possible and our policy is to allow the majority of comments posted on our social media pages.
A comment will be deleted if it contains:
- Off-topic or irrelevant posts, or posts that involve personal or non-FAA activities
- Hate speech directed at race, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ethnicity, color, age, religion, or disability
- Overly aggressive, obscene, or profane language, photos, or images
- Statements that defame, harass, abuse, stalk, threaten, or in any way infringe on the rights of others
- Statements that encourage criminal conduct or otherwise violate any law or regulation in any jurisdiction
- Promotion of services, products, or political organizations
- Material that is copyrighted or trademarked
- Spam or links to inappropriate sites
- Disclosure of "personally identifiable information," proprietary or privileged information, or information that could compromise the Agency's security
- Other comments that the FAA Social Media team deems inappropriate
- All links posted as comments on FAA posts will be reviewed and may be deleted. Repeated violations may cause the author to be blocked from FAA social media pages.
We recognize that the Internet is a medium unbound by regular business hours and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage federal resources, comments will be reviewed only during regular business hours Monday through Friday.
To protect your privacy, please do not include personal information (e.g., an email address, phone number, or formal FAA position) in the text of your comment that identifies you beyond the information provided in your profile.
Any personally identifiable information about you that becomes available through your use of this third-party website or application will not be maintained, used, or shared by the FAA, except as described in the Privacy Impact Assessment.
Additional guidance as to how the FAA regards privacy issues can be found within the Privacy and Website Policy.
If you are an FAA employee, you are responsible for reading and understanding this policy, as well as complying with the rules and guidelines found in the DOT Social Media Policy and Standards of Conduct. This includes providing a disclaimer on your personal social media that states "The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of the FAA."
Last updated: Friday, September 15, 2023