USA Banner

Official US Government Icon

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure Site Icon

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

United States Department of Transportation United States Department of Transportation

Am I required to request drug and alcohol testing records from the FAA or the U.S. Military for a newly hired safety-sensitive employee?

View the full FAQ here.

No. Because the FAA and U.S. Military are not considered employers, as defined in 14 CFR § 120.7, the requirement to conduct a drug and alcohol records check described in 49 CFR § 40.25 would not apply if the applicant who previously worked for the FAA or the U.S. Military.  

If you wish to request the testing records for a former FAA employee, you may send your request to the FAA’s Internal Substance Abuse Program (ISAP) by faxing your written release to 202-267-3262.  If you have questions, please contact the ISAP Office directly at 202-267-0238.  

If you have any further questions or need additional guidance that is more specific to your situation, please contact the FAA Drug Abatement Division at (202) 267-8442 or  

Please visit our Web site to learn more about our program.

Applicable Regulations: