Are you keeping our skies safe?
Drug and alcohol testing of safety-sensitive aviation employees helps protect public safety and keep our skies safe. Testing is required by the Omnibus Transportation Employees Testing Act of 1991 and by DOT and FAA regulations (49 CFR part 40 and 14 CFR part 120).
The Drug Abatement Division oversees the aviation industry's compliance with the drug and alcohol testing law and regulations. We accomplish this by performing on-site inspections, providing guidance to companies, individuals, contractors, and service agents, and establishing policies and procedures to increase the program's effectiveness. We also develop and implement regulations for DOT/FAA drug and alcohol testing.
If you can't find the answer here, please visit our Contact Us page and ask for the help you need.
- FAA's Notice of Enforcement Discretion for Random Drug and Alcohol Testing 2020 (PDF)
- Department of Transportation's guidance on drug and alcohol testing given concerns about the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
- Department of Transportation's statement of enforcement discretion for SAPs and Service Agents
- FAA's COVID-19 Drug and Alcohol Testing Guidance (PDF)
- Preventing Substance Abuse Begins with Knowledge
- DER Awareness Information
- Contact Us