- Hardie H. DeGuzman
Director, Office of General Aviation Safety Assurance
- Donna L. Heinlein
Acting Deputy Director, Office of General Aviation Safety Assurance
- Thomas A. Winston
Deputy Director, Office of General Aviation Safety Assurance
The Office of General Aviation Safety Assurance represents one of two offices that constitute the safety assurance component of the FAA Flight Standards Service Safety Management System (SMS).
The office is comprised of 78 Flight Standards District Offices (FSDOs) which are functionally aligned under eight Divisions. The FSDO’s are primarily responsible for the certification, surveillance, and certificate management of all air carriers, air operators, airmen, and air agencies in the following Federal Regulations: 14 CFR Parts 43, 61, 65, 91, 125,133, 135, 137, 141,142, 145, 147, 183, and other areas. The FSDOs are not involved in Part 121 air carriers.
This office is responsible for effectively utilizing risk based decision making (RBDM) processes to ensure consistent outcomes for internal and external stakeholders. These outcomes are rooted in federal regulations, FAA policies, and organizational standards to attain the highest levels of aviation safety.
Contact the local FSDO for:
- Low-flying aircraft
- Accident Reporting
- Air carrier certification and operations
- Aircraft maintenance
- Aircraft operational issues
- Aircraft permits
- Airmen certification (licensing) for pilots, mechanics, repairmen, dispatchers, and parachute riggers
- Certification and modification issues
- Enforcement of Airmen & Aircraft Regulations
- Illegal Charters
Find your nearest Flight Standards District Office?
General Aviation Safety Assurance Division
- Erik F. Anderson, Acting Division Manager
- Victor L. Goodell, Division Manager
- Karen D. Gattis, Division Manager
- William J. McGowan, Acting Division Manager
- Wayne P. Fry, Division Manager
- Mark E. Kramer, Division Manager
- Jerald L. Eichelberger, Division Manager
- William “Mike” M. Bossert, Division Manager