The Credentialing Program implements the Administrator's direction for independent oversight of the ATO's personnel certification program, and it ensures that those performing direct safety-related air traffic control services and/or certify systems/subsystems/services maintain required skills. ATO must maintain the NAS at a safety level that is at least equal to the baseline, in compliance with current policies, processes, and procedures that are documented in orders, handbooks, and manuals.
- The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) established International Standards for the licensing of aviation personnel including air traffic controllers in Annex 1 — Personnel Licensing from the Convention on International Civil Aviation.
- FAA Order 1100.161 Air Traffic Safety Oversight, directed AOV to develop and maintain a Credentialing Program in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 to ensure that operational personnel have the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform their assigned functions.
- FAA Order 8000.90C Air Traffic Safety Oversight Credentialing and Control Tower Operator Certification Programs, sets forth how to issue and maintain credentials for ATO personnel.
- Governing Documents
- FY20 Year in Review (PDF) – AOV Credentialing and Control Tower Operator Programs
- Program Frequently Asked Question (PDF)
- AOV Credentialing Online System
- Air Traffic Control Specialist
- Airway Transportation Systems Specialist
Control Tower Operation (CTO) Certificate
- AOV Policy Memo 14 CFR 65.35 and 65.39 (PDF)
- CTO Information Pamphlet (PDF)
- CTO-E Checklist (PDF)
- CTO Study Guide (PDF)
- Air Traffic Safety Oversight Credentialing and Control Tower Operator Certification Programs, FAA Order 8000.90C
- Certification and Rating Procedures for DoD Personnel, FAA Order 7220.1
- CTO Facility Rating Test Information (PDF)
- Certification: Airmen Other Than Flight Crewmembers from 14 CFR Part 65
- CTO specific Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- To request a replacement CTO contact the Airmen's Certification Branch
Air Traffic Safety Oversight Service Information and Assistance
General duty hours are Monday — Friday, 6 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Eastern Area OperationsAir Traffic Safety Oversight Service
1701 Columbia Ave
Highwoods Building College Park, GA 30337
Telephone: (609) 485-9574
Central Area OperationsAir Traffic Safety Oversight Service
10101 Hillwood Pkwy
Irving, TX 76177
Telephone: (817) 222-5435
Western Area OperationsAir Traffic Safety Oversight Service
2200 S. 216th Street
Des Moines, WA 98198
Telephone: (206) 231-3709
HeadquartersFederal Aviation Administration
Air Traffic Safety Oversight Service
Room 1026, Attn: Credentialing — CTO Program Staff
800 Independence Ave. SW
Washington, DC 20591
Telephone: (202) 267-5205