- Provision of Technical Assistance to Civil Aviation Authorities for Safety Oversight of International Commercial Air Transportation Including by Commercial Technical Assistance Providers
- Date issued
- Office of Primary Responsibility
- AFS-50, International Program
This advisory circular (AC) provides information about the provision of technical assistance to Civil Aviation Authorities (CAA) related to compliance with International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standards and recommended practices. The AC explains the process the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) uses to provide assistance to CAAs and also provides guidance CAAs can use to obtain technical assistance from commercial providers if the services of the FAA are not available.
Noncompliance with ICAO standards by CAAs is often identified under the FAA’s International Aviation Safety Assessment (IASA) program. The primary focus for the IASA program is for compliance with ICAO Annex 1, Personnel Licensing; Annex 6, Operation of Aircraft, Part 1, International Commercial Air Transport-Aeroplanes; and Annex 8, Airworthiness of Aircraft.
This AC contains information a CAA may use to identify:
- The elements that must be analyzed in order for any technical assistance project to have an opportunity to succeed;
- The actions that should be taken before, during, and after the conduct of any technical assistance relating to the eight critical elements of safety oversight, as defined in ICAO Document 9734, Safety Oversight Manual, Part A, The Establishment and Management of a State’s Safety Oversight System (ICAO Document 9734, Part A); and
- The process steps that will facilitate the effective selection of commercial technical assistance providers.
- AC 129-5 (PDF)