- JO 1000.37C
- Air Traffic Organization Safety Management System
- Date Issued
- October 01, 2021
- Responsible Office
- AJI-0, ATO Safety and Technical Training
- Access Restriction
This order establishes Safety Management System (SMS) policiesfor the Air Traffic Organization (ATO). It defines the scope, requirements, and applicationsof the SMS in the ATO and gives the responsibility for owning and executing the SMS to allemployees at all levels of the ATO, from the ATO Chief Operating Officer (COO) to theindividual air traffic controllers and airway transportation systems specialists at a ServiceDelivery Point (SDP). The ATO COO is the ultimate accountable executive for ensuring theeffectiveness of the SMS.
Specifically, this order requires the ATO SMS to be the framework for the:
• Development of safety policy and processes;
• Promotion of a safety culture that identifies and reports activities that are potentially or actually detrimental to system safety;
• Identification, analysis, assessment, and treatment of safety risk within the National Airspace System (NAS) and United States–controlled international/oceanic airspace; and
• Continuous collection, analysis, and assessment of safety data to determine if the ATO is meeting or exceeding its safety performance objectives and to determine the effectiveness of safety risk controls.
- JO 1000.37C (PDF, 1.3 MB)
|JO 1000.37B||Air Traffic Organization Safety Management System||2018-10-26|