The goal of the Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) is to enhance aviation safety through the prevention of accidents and incidents. Its focus is to encourage voluntary reporting of safety issues and events that come to the attention of employees of certain certificate holders.
To encourage an employee to voluntarily report safety issues even though they may involve an alleged violation of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR), enforcement-related incentives have been designed into the program. An ASAP is based on a safety partnership that will include the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and the certificate holder, and may include any third party such as the employee's labor organization.
The automated Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) generator creates a demonstration or continuing ASAP MOU that fully complies with FAA ASAP guidance, thereby expediting the FAA review and acceptance process. Although designed primarily for use by certificate holders operating under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR), part 121 or part 145, it may also be used by other operators who wish to establish an ASAP. The automated MOU generator produces an ASAP MOU in text or Microsoft Word, based on the user's answers to a series of questions. Although the resulting MOU may then be edited by the user, operators are cautioned not to make editorial changes that relate to FAA ASAP policy.
Proposed ASAP MOUs produced by the automated MOU generator will be processed by the FAA on an expedited basis. Demonstration or continuing ASAP MOU submissions should be based the most recent version of MOU generator.
- Orders and Advisory Circulars
- 8000.82, Designation of Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP) Information as Protected from Public Disclosure under 14 CFR Part 193
- 8900.1, Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS), Vol. 11, Chap. 2, Sec. 1, Aviation Safety Action Program (PDF)
- AC 120-66, Aviation Safety Action Program (ASAP)
- AC 120-92, Safety Management Systems for Aviation Service Providers
- Policy Updates
- Guides, Best Practices & Lessons Learned
- ASAP Interface with SMS Examples (PDF)
- Guide for Maintenance ASAP Programs (PDF)
- Best Practices for ASAP ERCs (PDF)
- Lessons Learned and Best Practices for ERC Members (PDF)
- Process and Procedures Manual Example (PDF)
- Operator ASAP Quarterly Report Submission via WBAT
- DNAA Taxonomy List (PDF)
- ASAP Participants