We provide information on community involvement and aircraft noise issues, including how to submit a noise complaint or inquiry, for the areas served of the Northwest Mountain Region.
Noise Complaints & Inquiries
Noise from Aircraft Operations at Your Community Airport
The FAA's continuing mission is to ensure the safe and efficient use of our nation's navigable airspace. We also participate in an array of research and community engagement activities focused on addressing aircraft noise. However, airport sponsors (i.e., owners/operators) also share the responsibility for reducing incompatible land uses and noise impacts on residents of the surrounding area.
Partnering Airports for Noise Complaints & Inquiries
To serve the public and avoid duplication of efforts between the FAA and airports, Partnering Airports respond to aircraft noise complaints or inquiries within a predefined area from their airport. The FAA and Partnering Airports coordinate responses and share noise-related information.
To send a noise complaint or inquiry about a noise concern:
- Review FAA's noise complaint and inquiry policy (PDF) to become familiar with how we process these submissions.
- Contact Partnering Airports:
- Arapahoe County Public Airport Authority – Centennial Airport (APA) (within 20 miles of the airport)
- Boise Airport (BOI) (within 3 miles of the airport)
- Denver International Airport (DEN) (within 50 miles of the airport)
- King County International Airport/Boeing Field (BFI) (within 5 miles of the airport)
- Paine Field-Snohomish County Airport (PAE) (within 10 miles of the airport)
- Portland International Airport (PDX) (within 46 miles of the airport)
- Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport – Jefferson County (BJC) (within 5 miles of the airport)
- Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) (within 40 miles of the airport)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA) (within 30 miles of the airport)
- Non-partnering airports: Enter the address where the noise concern occurred to contact the nearest non-partnering airport
- If you wish to send a noise complaint or inquiry not directly related to an airport (or if you have already communicated with an airport), please use the FAA's online noise inquiry form.
The FAA Regional Administrator designates a Regional Ombudsman.
- Each Regional Ombudsman will work with the Regional Administrator to ensure public inquires related to aviation noise, pollution, and safety are properly addressed.
- Contact the Regional Ombudsman with other aviation noise, pollution or safety-related questions and concerns.
Aviation Noise General Information
Learn about aviation noise and the FAA's ongoing work to improve our understanding of the ways aviation noise may affect communities.
The FAA is committed to inform and involve the public, engage with communities, and consider community concerns and views as we make aviation decisions that affect them.
- Read about the Seattle Airport's Stakeholder Advisory Round Table
- Attend Portland's Citizens Noise Advisory Committee meetings
- Learn more about the Centennial Airport Community Noise Roundtable
- Learn more about the Denver Metroplex project
Other Complaint or Inquiry Types
- For safety concerns or to report low-flying aircraft, contact your local Flight Standards District Office.
- For military aircraft noise complaints, please contact the military.