AME Assisted - All Classes - Prostate Cancer
AME Assisted Special Issuance (AASI) is a process that provides Examiners the ability to re-issue an airman medical certificate under the provisions of an Authorization for Special Issuance of a Medical Certificate (Authorization) to an applicant who has a medical condition that is disqualifying under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 67.
An FAA physician provides the initial certification decision and grants the Authorization in accordance with 14 CFR � 67.401. The Authorization letter is accompanied by attachments that specify the information that treating physician(s) must provide for the re-issuance determination.
If this is a first-time application for an AASI for the above disease/condition, and the applicant has all the requisite medical information necessary for a determination, the Examiner must defer and submit all of the documentation to the AMCD or RFS for the initial determination.
Examiners may re-issue an airman medical certificate under the provisions of an Authorization, if the applicant provides the following:
- An Authorization granted by the FAA;
- A current status of the medical condition to include any testing deemed necessary; and
- A current PSA level performed within last 90 days.
The Examiner must defer to the AMCD or Region if:
- The PSA rises at a rate above 0.75 ng/ml per year;
- A new treatment is initiated; or
- Any metastasis has occurred.