Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
The Guide provides pertinent information and guidance needed to perform the duties and responsibilities of an Aviation Medical Examiner.
NOTE: Updates to the AME Guide are posted on the last Wednesday of each month, usually before 9:00 a.m. CT. For specific dates, see the 2023 update schedule.
Current revision date – September 27, 2023
- Weight Loss Management - Disposition, Pharmaceutical, CACI, Status Report
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) – Disposition, CACI
- Prediabetes – Disposition, AASI, Status Report
- Diabetes Mellitus and Diabetes Insipidus (expanded disposition)
- Prediabetes CACI
- Non-Valvular AFib/Aflutter Recertification Status Report
- COVID-19 Medication – FDA Emergency Use Authorization changes
- ADHD – Pathway Chart, Standard Track General information and Standard Track Report Requirements – evaluations can only be done by FAA HIMS-trained Neuropsychologists.
- Color Vision – Pilots and ATCS Waggoner Computerized Color Vision Test (identifies what is tested in each section)
- FAA Form 8500-8; Application Process and Examination Techniques
- Aeromedical Decision Considerations
- Frequently used webpages
- AMCS Technical Support (PDF)
- Download, Print, or View the Complete AME Guide (PDF) (best viewed using Google Chrome)
- Archives and Updates – Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
- Designee Management Policy – FAA Order 8000.95C
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) – The International Standards on Personnel Licensing are contained in Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. The FAA maintains an updated, hard copy of all the ICAO Annexes and also an on-line subscription. The FAA makes copies of Annex 1 available at seminars and can provide Examiners access upon request.
- Locate an Office
- 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 67 Medical Standards and Certification
- Pilot Information - Current Detailed Clinical Progress Note
- Student Pilot Rule Change (PDF)
- Listing of HIMS AMEs and HIMS Independent Medical Sponsors: MS Word, PDF