During the past century, wildlife-aircraft strikes have resulted in the loss of hundreds of lives worldwide, as well as billions of dollars in aircraft damage. The FAA maintains a comprehensive program to address wildlife hazards. Through policy and guidance, research and outreach, we strive to stay ahead of the issue.
- December 16, 2016: Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, 1990 - 2015 (PDF, 5.37 MB)
- December 1, 2016: Applicability of National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) to Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Review of Airport Wildlife Hazard Management Plans (PDF)
Notice and request for comments on proposed changes to Part 139 Program Policy and Guidance Policy 92 (see link at the bottom of this page), which addresses how the FAA approves new and revised airport Wildlife Hazard Management Plans. Comments deadline extended to January 17, 2017.
- September 9, 2016: Updated Wildlife Hazard Mitigation Program Fact Sheet
- Receive email alerts when this page is updated.
Wildlife Strike Reporting
- FAA's Wildlife Strike Database
Report a strike or explore the available strike data.
- Smithsonian Institution's Feather Lab
Learn how to submit bird remains for identification.
Wildlife Hazard Management at AirportsA Manual for Airport Personnel
Reports on Wildlife Strikes to Aircraft
- Trends in Reporting of Wildlife Strikes With Civil Aircraft and in Identification of Species Struck Under a Primarily Voluntary Reporting System, 1990-2013 (PDF)
- Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, 1990 - 2015 (PDF, 5.37 MB) (Added 12/16/2016)
- Some Significant Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, January 1990 - November 2015 (PDF) (Updated 12/3/2015)
U.S. Department of Agriculture / Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service / Wildlife Services.
Wildlife Hazard Assessments and Management Plans
- AIP Eligibility for Wildlife Hazard Assessments (AIP Handbook, Table E-2, Planning Project Requirements) (PDF)
- Long and Short Templates for Wildlife Hazard Assessment Agreements (MS Word)
- Part 139 Program Policy and Guidance Policy 92: Applicability of National Environmental Policy Act to Federal Aviation Administration Mandated Wildlife Hazard Management Plans (May 17, 2006) (PDF)