During the past century, wildlife-aircraft strikes have resulted in the loss of hundreds of lives worldwide, as well as billions of dollars in aircraft damage. The FAA maintains a comprehensive program to address wildlife hazards. Through policy and guidance, research and outreach, we strive to stay ahead of the issue.
- August 20, 2018: AC 150/5200-38, Protocol for the Conduct and Review of Wildlife Hazard Site Visits, Wildlife Hazard Assessments, and Wildlife Hazard Management Plans
- August 20, 2018: Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, 1990 - 2016 (PDF, 984 KB)
- 2018 Bird Strike Committee USA Meeting: August 21-23, 2018, in Baltimore, Maryland. For more information, visit the Bird Strike Committee USA website.
- Update on Available Data in the FAA National Wildlife Strike Database, as of July 3, 2018:
The FAA National Wildlife Strike Database currently includes wildlife strike reports through April 30, 2018. This includes reports that were submitted online and via "paper" 5200-7 forms (Bird / Other Wildlife Strike Report).
The database currently includes wildlife strike reports submitted via Mandatory Occurrence Reports (MOR), supplied by the Air Traffic Organization, through December 31, 2016. The remaining MORs are being analyzed and will be incorporated into the database shortly.
- July 2, 2018: Updated Fact Sheet: The Federal Aviation Administration's (FAA) Wildlife Hazard Mitigation Program
- Spring/Summer 2018: Bird Strike Committee USA Newsletter (PDF)
- Receive email alerts when this page is updated.
Wildlife Strike Reporting
Report a Strike
- FAA's Wildlife Strike Database
Report a strike or explore the available strike data.
- Smithsonian Institution's Feather Lab
Learn how to submit bird remains for identification.
- Some Significant Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, January 1990 - March 2018 (PDF) (Updated 05/17/18)
U.S. Department of Agriculture / Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service / Wildlife Services.
- Strike Information Summaries (as of April 30, 2018)
Summaries produced by Embry Riddle Prescott Center for Wildlife and Aviation from data drawn from the FAA Wildlife Strike Database.
- Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, 1990 - 2016 (PDF, 984 KB)