During the past century, wildlife-aircraft strikes have resulted in the loss of hundreds of lives worldwide, as well as billions of dollars in aircraft damage. The FAA maintains a comprehensive program to address wildlife hazards. Through policy and guidance, research and outreach, we strive to stay ahead of the issue.
- January 3, 2020 - Update on Available Data in the FAA’s National Wildlife Strike Database:
The FAA’s National Wildlife Strike Database currently includes validated wildlife strike reports that were submitted online through July 31, 2019. The ‘paper’ 5200-7 mail-in forms are entered through May 31, 2019.
The database does not currently include wildlife strike reports that were submitted via Mandatory Occurrence Reports (MORs), which are supplied by the FAA’s Air Traffic Organization, from January 1, 2019, through the present date.
The remaining 2019 wildlife strike reports are currently being validated and will be incorporated into the database,shortly.
For a copy of your airports non-validated strike reports, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- September 5, 2019: The following 3-day courses fulfill the training requirements for airport wildlife biologists conducting wildlife hazard assessments under Part 139 and Advisory Circular 150/5200-36A.
- Blue Wing Environmental: 3-Day Wildlife Hazard Management Training Course, Purdue Polytechnic - Aviation Technology Center, Indianapolis International Airport, IN, October 8-10, 2019 (COM) (registration deadline: September 13, 2019
- Loomacres Wildlife Management: Advanced Airport Wildlife Management Training, Tulsa Internatonal Airport, Tulsa, OK, March 10-12, 2020 (PHP)
- Receive email alerts when this page is updated.
Wildlife Strike Reporting
Report a Strike
- FAA's Wildlife StrikeDat abase
Report a strike or explore the available strike data.
- Smithsonian Institution's Feather Lab
Learn how to submit bird remains for identification.
- Some Significant Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, January 1990 - September 2019 (PDF) (Updated 9/25/19)
U.S. Department of Agriculture / Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service / Wildlife Services.
- Strike Information Summaries (as of April 30, 2018)
Summaries produced by Embry Riddle Prescott Center for Wildlife and Aviation from data drawn from the FAA Wildlife Strike Database.
- Wildlife Strikes to Civil Aircraft in the United States, 1990 - 2018 (PDF, 2.23 MB) (Added 7/31/2019)