Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Pharmaceuticals (Therapeutic Medications)
- Code of Federal Regulations:
- First-Class Airman Medical Certificate: 67.113(b)(c)
- Second-Class Airman Medical Certificate: 67.213(b)(c)
- Third-Class Airman Medical Certificate: 67.313(b)(c)
- Medical History: Item 18.h., High or low blood pressure.
- Aeromedical Decision Considerations:
- See Item 36, Heart-Hypertension
- Also see Item 55, Blood Pressure
- Protocol: N/A. See Hypertension Worksheet (PDF).
- Pharmaceutical Considerations
- Seven-day (7) no fly/ground trial is required when starting a new hypertension (HTN) medication to verify no side effects.
- AME should issue (if otherwise qualified) if the airmen is on 3 or fewer medications.
- Uses of beta-adrenergic blockers ARE allowed with insulin, meglitinides, or sulfonylureas.
UNACCEPTABLE HTN Medications|
(as a single agent or in any combination product)
DO NOT ISSUE
|Clonidine (ex. Catapres/Clorpres)|
|Nitrates (ex. nitroglycerin/isosorbide dinitrate/isosorbide mononitrate)|
Last updated: Friday, June 24, 2022