Substances of Dependence/Abuse (Drugs and Alcohol)
As an Examiner you are required to be aware of the regulations and Agency policy and have a responsibility to inform airmen of the potential adverse effects of medications and to counsel airmen regarding their use. There are numerous conditions that require the chronic use of medications that do not compromise aviation safety and, therefore, are permissible. Airmen who develop short-term, self-limited illnesses are best advised to avoid performing aviation duties while medications are used.
Aeromedical decision-making guidance includes an analysis of the underlying disease or condition and treatment. The underlying disease has an equal and often greater influence upon the determination of aeromedical certification.
- DUI/DWI/Alcohol Incidents - Disposition Table (PDF)
- Alcohol Event Status Report for the AME (PDF)
- Drug Use - Past or Present - Disposition Table (PDF)
- Drug and Alcohol Event - FAA Certification Aid - Required Information (PDF)
- Security Notification/Reporting Events (PDF)
- Substances of Dependence/Abuse FAQs (PDF)
FAA Drug and/or Alcohol Monitoring Program and the HIMS Program:
Airmen who have a regulatory diagnosis of alcohol dependence or abuse may require evaluation and monitoring before they can obtain a medical certificate. If an airman requires monitoring they should establish with a HIMS (Human Intervention Motivation Study) trained AME (HIMS AME) to help them work through the FAA process.
EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY - FORMAL HIMS CASES
- This refers ONLY to Pilots who fly for an airline with a HIMS Chairman.
- Case submissions must be sent electronically to WASHINGTON, DC via Huddle AND have an accompanying HIMS Data Sheet. HIMS DATA SHEET.
- Paper format submissions will NOT BE ACCEPTED after January 1, 2023.
- Airline HIMS Chairs will be advised of HIMS AMEs not in compliance at that time.
- All HIMS AMEs must successfully complete Huddle training to be placed on the FAA HIMS AME List. Send training requests to 9-AAM-HIMS@faa.gov.
DO NOT SEND CASE FILES TO THE ABOVE EMAIL.
- Send ALL OTHER Drug and Alcohol cases to AMCD at the address indicated on the HIMS-Trained AME Checklist. (No Data Sheet needed.)
Drug and/or Alcohol monitoring - Initial Certification
- HIMS AME - Huddle Electronic Case Submission and FAQs (PDF)
- HIMS-Trained AME Checklist - Drug and Alcohol Monitoring - Initial Certification (PDF)
- HIMS-Trained AME Data Sheet
- FAA Certification Aid - HIMS Drug and Alcohol - INITIAL (PDF)
- Specifications for Neuropsychological Evaluations for Substance Abuse/Dependence
Drug and/or Alcohol monitoring - RecertificationHIMS AMES should use this section once the airman has a valid Special Issuance Authorization for a Drug or Alcohol condition. In response to NTSB Safety Recommendation A-07-43, the FAA has extended follow up for airmen with a diagnosis of substance dependence on a HIMS Step Down Plan. HIMS AMES should use the following guidance in recommending testing frequency and general milestones.
- HIMS AME Information - HIMS Step Down Plan (PDF)
- Airman Information - HIMS Step Down Plan (PDF)
- HIMS-Trained AME Checklist Drug and Alcohol Monitoring Recertification (PDF)
- FAA Certification Aid - Drug and Alcohol Monitoring Recertification (PDF)
For information on the Industry Drug and Alcohol Testing Program see Aviation Industry Antidrug and Alcohol Misuse Prevention Programs