If you are applying for a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under the provisions of:
- 14 CFR Part 61, Section 61.75
- special purpose pilot authorizations under Section 61.77
- using a pilot certificate issued under Section 61.75 to apply for a commercial pilot certificate under Section 61.123 (h)
- applying for an airline transport pilot certificate issued underSection 61.153 (d) (3)
- applying for a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 63, Sections 63.23 and 63.42
The Airmen Certification Branch must have the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) verify the validity and currency of the foreign license and medical certificate or endorsement before you apply for an FAA certificate or authorization. The processing of the Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License and Medical Certification takes approximately 45 to 90 days to complete. NOTE: Do not schedule any travel and/or checkrides, etc until a valid Verification Letter has been obtained from Airmen Certification Branch.
Foreign applicants who require a visit to a FAA Flight Standards District Office or are applying for the issuance or replacement of an airman certificate in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75 must contact their selected Flight Standards District Office upon receipt of this verification letter to schedule an appointment with a FAA Inspector or authorized certifying official. Do not anticipate an appointment earlier than two weeks after this initial contact, due to enhanced security procedures.
Send Us Your Information
Choose any of the following methods:
Electronically in IACRA (Preferred Method)
Complete the 8060-71 application form and mail the form to:FAA AIRMEN CERTIFICATION BRANCH AFB-720, FOREIGN VERIFICATION P.O. Box 25082 Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082
Please include a copy of your foreign license. A copy of the foreign medical is only required if you would like a verification of both the foreign license and medical certificate.
Applicant submits the verification request via IACRA.
AFB-720 contacts the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to verify the details provided by the applicant. The CAA provides response to the FAA.
A copy of the verification letter is uploaded to the applicant's IACRA account. If you submitted the form to our office by mail, we will mail or email you a copy, and provide a copy of the letter to the selected Flight Standards District Office (FSDO). The verification letter will be valid for a six month period unless the CAA specifies a shorter period or if the foreign license expires prior to the six month validation period.
The applicant contacts their FAA designated foreign pilot examiner, flight school or FAA FSDO office to complete the application process. The verification letter will be submitted with the application for a certificate or rating.
Additional Requirements for Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand and United Kingdom Applicants
In addition to the procedures stated under Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating and Medical Certification above, airmen from Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand or the United Kingdom must contact their respective CAA to complete additional forms that are required PRIOR to providing the requested information to the Airmen Certification Branch. We have provided a link to each CAA for your convenience:
- Australia CAA Website
- Cyprus CAA Website
- Ireland CAA Website
- Malaysia CAA Website
- New Zealand CAA Website
- The United Kingdom CAA.
- You must send the additional information required by the Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom directly to the country. FAA Airmen Certification Branch should not receive this additional form.
- You must send our form Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License and Medical Certification (INFORMATION) directly to FAA's Airmen Certification Branch. Australia, Cyprus, Ireland, Malaysia, New Zealand and the United Kingdom do not require copies of our form.