If you are applying for a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under the provisions of:
- 14 CFR Part 61, Section 61.75
- special purpose pilot authorizations under Section 61.77
- using a pilot certificate issued under Section 61.75 to apply for a commercial pilot certificate under Section 61.123 (h)
- applying for an airline transport pilot certificate issued under Section 61.153 (d) (3)
- applying for a certificate issued on the basis of a foreign license under the provisions of 14 CFR Part 63, Sections 63.23 and 63.42
The Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760 must have the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) verify the validity and currency of the foreign license and medical certificate or endorsement before you apply for an FAA certificate or authorization. The processing of the Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification form takes approximately 45 to 90 days to complete. NOTE: Do not schedule any travel and/or checkrides, etc until a valid Verification Letter has been obtained from AFS-760.
Foreign applicants who require a visit to a FAA Flight Standards District Office or are applying for the issuance or replacement of an airman certificate in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75 must contact their selected Flight Standards District Office upon receipt of this verification letter to schedule an appointment with a FAA Inspector or authorized certifying official. Do not anticipate an appointment earlier than two weeks after this initial contact, due to enhanced security procedures.
Send Us Your Information
You can provide the required information using the optional Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification (PDF, 147 KB) form.
You can send us the form and the preferred documents two ways:
By MailFederal Aviation Administration Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760 P.O. Box 25082 Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082
NOTE: If your application and documentation for foreign verification is received with missing and/or illegible information, you will be notified and required to resend your application and all required documentation by mail.
We are not able to accept the application documents by email.
Rating or Medical Certificate
A person who is applying for a U.S. rating or medical certificate on the basis of a foreign license must apply for that certificate at least 90 days before arriving at the designated FAA FSDO where the applicant intends to receive the U.S. certificate. This initial application step is the responsibility of the applicant.
The information you submit to the Airmen Certification Branch must include your:
- name and date of birth
- address where you wish to have the verification of the authenticity letter mailed
- certificate number and ratings on the foreign license
- country of issuance of your foreign license
- location of the FAA Flight Standards District Office where you intend to apply for your U.S. certificate
- statement that your foreign license is not under an order of suspension or revocation
Note: The Airmen Certification Branch would prefer to have a copy of the foreign license and medical certificate or endorsement included with all requests for verification of authenticity of the foreign license.
When we receive verification from the CAA, you will receive written notification that we forwarded a copy to the Flight Standards District Office (FSDO) you designated in your request. The verification is valid for 6 calendar months. You may apply for a U.S. certificate at the designated FSDO during that period.
You can mail the information to:
Federal Aviation Administration
Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125-0082
Additional Requirements for Australia, Cyprus, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan and United Kingdom Applicants
In addition to the procedures stated under Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating and Medical Certification above, airmen from Australia, Cyprus, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan or the United Kingdom must contact their respective CAA to complete additional forms that are required PRIOR to providing the requested information to the Airmen Certification Branch, AFS-760. We have provided a link to each CAA for your convenience:
- Australia CAA Website
- Cyprus CAA Website
- Malaysia CAA Website
- New Zealand CAA Website
- Pakistan CAA Website
- The United Kingdom CAA requires two forms (UK Link 1 of 2) (UK Link 2 of 2).
- You must send the additional information required by the Australia, Cyprus, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan and the United Kingdom directly to the country. FAA Airmen Certification Branch should not receive this additional form.
- You must send our form Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification (PDF, 147 KB) directly to FAA's Airmen Certification Branch. Australia, Cyprus, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan and the United Kingdom do not require copies of our form.