Current revision date – October 26, 2022
The Guide provides pertinent information and guidance needed to perform the duties and responsibilities of an Aviation Medical Examiner.
NOTE: Updates to the AME Guide are posted on the last Wednesday of each month, usually before 9:00 a.m. CT. For specific dates, see the 2022 update schedule. Refer to the Archives (PDF) document for a description of changes posted each month.
- Novavax Covid-19 vaccine added as allowed with 48-hour post-dose observation
- Covid-19 Infections Disposition Table revised to include long Covid
- Item 36. Heart, Arrhythmias - 1st Degree AV Block consideration criteria revised by PR intervals (under 300 ms and 300 ms or more)
- Formal HIMS cases (this refers ONLY to pilots who fly for an airline with a HIMS Chairman) must be submitted to Washington, D.C. via Huddle AND have an accompanying HIMS Data Sheet.
- No formal HIMS cases will be accepted in paper format after January 1, 2023.
- Airline HIMS Chairs will be advised of any HIMS AME not in compliance at that time.
- HIMS AMEs who are not yet Huddle capable should contact 9-AAM-HIMS@faa.gov for training. DO NOT SEND FILES TO THE ABOVE EMAIL.
- Send ALL OTHER Drug and Alcohol cases to AMCD at the address indicated on the HIMS-Trained AME Checklist. No Data Sheet needed.
Methods to navigate through the Guide
- FAA Form 8500-8; Application Process and Examination Techniques
- Aeromedical Decision Considerations
- AMCS Technical Support (PDF)
- Download, Print, or View the Complete AME Guide (PDF) (best viewed using Google Chrome)
- Archives and Updates – Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners (PDF)
- Designee Management Policy – FAA Order 8000.95B
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) – The International Standards on Personnel Licensing are contained in Annex 1 – Personnel Licensing to the Convention on International Civil Aviation. The FAA maintains an updated, hard copy of all the ICAO Annexes and also an on-line subscription. The FAA makes copies of Annex 1 available at seminars and can provide Examiners access upon request.
- Locate an Office
- 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 67 Medical Standards and Certification
- Pilot Information – Current Detailed Clinical Progress Note
- Student Pilot Rule Change (PDF)
- Listing of HIMS AMEs and HIMS Independent Medical Sponsors: MS Word, PDF