Section 3. Broadcasts
Facility air traffic managers must select the specific reports to be included in the Scheduled Weather Broadcast (SWB). Include a sufficient number of reports to serve the users' needs. The selection of the reports and any proposed changes must be coordinated with known users of the station broadcast. The reports should be broadcast in clockwise order, beginning with the report nearest to but east of true north from the broadcast station. Changes may be implemented immediately unless prior Flight Service Safety and Operations Group approval is required.
Requests to broadcast scheduled or transcribed weather broadcasts which may be useful to the aviation community may be approved on an individual basis provided:
- Any such request is coordinated with the FAA and the NWS regional office before approval.
- The radio station identifies the source of the information.
- The broadcast is confined to within 1 hour of the time announced on the SWB.
- If feasible, the broadcast is not identified or associated with a sponsor. The FAA and the NWS prefer such a program be carried as a public service feature of the standard broadcast station.
- FAA personnel must not make direct or recorded broadcasts regularly over a standard broadcast station. A waiver to this policy must be approved by the respective Flight Service Safety and Operations Group and the Vice President of Flight Services.