Implementation and Configurations
TFDM capabilities will be implemented incrementally in a phased approach throughout the life of the program beginning in 2020. The TFDM System will be deployed to a subset of National Airspace System (NAS) Air Traffic Control Towers (ATCTs). ATCTs will receive TFDM capabilities based on operational needs and the impact of installation and deployment on the NAS. Other FAA facilities will also have access to the TFDM data, including Terminal Radar Approach Control Facilities (TRACONS), Air Route Traffic Control Centers (ARTCCs), and the Air Traffic Control System Command Center (ATCSCC).
Towers with fewer operational needs may receive only Electronic Flight Data (EFD) and improved data exchange as one of two primary system configurations. In addition to EFD, other towers may require enhanced traffic management and a data exchange with stakeholders to improve decision support capabilities. Airports that require improved surface management to reduce delays and congestion may receive EFD, traffic management tools, and decision support capabilities.
TFDM will have two system configurations, A and B.
Full Functionality (Configuration A, 27 Sites)
- Electronic Flight Data (EFD), includes electronic flight strips in towers
- Surface surveillance data integration
- Full Decision Support Tools (DSTs), including surface scheduling/metering
- Traffic Flow Management (TFM) data exchange and integration
- Surface Situational Awareness (SSA) on TFMS Traffic Management Unit (TMU) displays in the TRACON, ARTCC, and ATCSCC
EFD only (Configuration B, 62 Sites)
- EFD, includes electronic flight strips in towers
- Limited SSA capability on TFMS TMU displays
List of Site Configurations (MS Excel)
The list of sites receiving each configuration is subject to change based on the final business case for each site.