On November 12, 2013, the FAA issued the Qualification, Service, and Use of Crewmembers and Aircraft Dispatchers Final Rule which implemented enhanced pilot training and qualification in part 121, including stall and upset prevention and recovery training. Additionally, on March 30, 2016, the FAA issued the Flight Simulation Training Device Qualification Standards for Extended Envelope and Adverse Weather Event Training Tasks Final Rule which improved existing technical standards and introduced new technical standards to define flight simulation training device (FSTD) fidelity requirements to conduct the enhanced pilot training and qualification.
Compliance with the enhanced pilot training and qualification requirements and the new FSTD requirements to conduct the enhanced pilot training and qualification is required no later than March 12, 2019.
The FAA offers a one-day seminar in Oklahoma City to assist air carriers with understanding the obligations and training objectives of the new requirements. This seminar is offered at no cost to the air carrier. (Travel and lodging are at air carrier expense.) Air carriers that are interested in this seminar should contact Air Carrier Training Systems and Voluntary Safety Programs Branch at 202-267-8166 for more information.
The following documents provide additional information regarding the new requirements:
- Qualification, Service, and Use of Crewmembers and Aircraft Dispatchers Final Rule (PDF)
- Flight Simulation Training Device Qualification Standards for Extended Envelope and Adverse Weather Event Training Tasks Final Rule (PDF)
- FSTD Directive #2 Full Stall, UPRT, Icing, Crosswind, and Bounced Landing Training Tasks (PDF)
- National Simulator Program Guidance Bulletins:
- #11-04 — FSTD Evaluation and Qualification for Engine and Airframe Icing Training Tasks (PDF)
- #11-05 — FSTD Evaluation and Qualification for Upset Prevention and Recovery Training (UPRT) Tasks (PDF)
- #14-01 — FSTD Evaluation and Qualification for Full Stall Training Tasks (PDF)
- #16-02 — Realistic Gusting Crosswind Profiles FSTD Qualification (PDF)
- #17-01 — Evaluation of FSTD Ground Handling Models for Bounced Landing Recovery Training (PDF)
- Advisory Circular 120-35D — Flightcrew Member Line Operational Simulations: Line-Oriented Flight Training, Special Purpose Operational Training, Line Operational Evaluation
- Advisory Circular 120-71 Standard Operating Procedures and Pilot Monitoring Duties for Flight Deck Crewmembers
- Advisory Circular 120-109 Stall Prevention and Recovery Training
- Advisory Circular 120-111 Upset Prevention and Recovery Training
- Advisory Circular 120-114 Pilot Training and Checking (14 CFR Part 121 Subparts N and O, including Appendices E and F)
- InFO 17017, Enhanced Pilot Training and Qualification for Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) Part 121 Pilots (PDF)