TAMR is modernizing the automation systems in phases. More »
What is Terminal Automation?
- The terminal automation system receives radar data and aircraft flight plan information for air traffic controllers at more than 162 radar control facilities and hundreds of FAA and contract towers.
- The system provides air traffic controllers the total airspace picture.
- Controllers use automation to provide air traffic control service to pilots in the airspace immediately around major airports.
- These air traffic control services include separation and sequencing of air traffic, conflict and terrain avoidance alerts, weather advisories, and radar vectoring for departing and arriving traffic.
The FAA's Terminal Automation Modernization and Replacement (TAMR) program is modernizing the air traffic control systems at all of the nation's major airports.
- TAMR's mission is to successfully combine and upgrade multiple air traffic control technologies to a single, state-of-the-art platform, the Standard Terminal Automation Replacement System (STARS).
- This new system will maintain the safety and increase the efficiency of the national airspace system.
- STARS will give approximately 10,000 controllers and technicians new tools today and will enable NextGen solutions for tomorrow.
- For more Information, contact TAMR@FAA.gov