Important Policy Memorandums
- Policy Memorandum Regarding Yellow Fever Vaccine (PDF)
- Policy Memorandum Regarding Aviation Medical Examiner (AME) Evaluations of Airmen and Air Traffic Control Specialists (ATCS) with a History of COVID-19 (PDF)
Use of COVID-19 Vaccines by Pilots and Air Traffic Controllers
The COVID-19 public health emergency has driven extraordinary global efforts to develop an effective and safe vaccine. The vaccine produced by Johnson & Johnson/Janssen is available to the American public under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Pfizer's Comirnaty and Moderna's Spikevax vaccines are now fully FDA approved.
After careful review of available data regarding safety profiles, the FAA Office of Aerospace Medicine (AAM) continues the following policy as both safe and operationally responsive to this unique situation:
Holders of FAA-issued Airman Medical Certificates or Medical Clearances may receive the Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and/or Johnson & Johnson/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines; however, a 48-hour no fly/no safety related duty interval must be observed after each dose. This policy is applicable to both the initial vaccine doses and booster shots.
Individuals holding an FAA-issued Airman Medical Certificate or Medical Clearance are reminded that they are prohibited from performing flight crewmember duties or air traffic control duties if they do not meet medical certification requirements, including those related to adverse events from medications that render them unable to perform such duties. 14CFR61.53 applies to all certificated pilots whether they hold a medical certificate or not.
AAM continues to monitor the situation and will adjust this policy as necessary to ensure aviation safety.
- Contact the Aerospace Medical Certification Division
- How to obtain a Medical Certificate
- FAA MedXPress (online FAA Form 8500-8 application)
- Pilot Information – Over-the-Counter Medications
- Pilot Mental Fitness
- Questions and Answers
- Request a Copy of Your Medical Certificate
- Locate an AME
- Locate a HIMS (Human Intervention Motivation Study) AME: MS Word, PDF
HIMS AMEs are trained in evaluating airmen for substance- or alcohol-related conditions or other mental conditions. HIMS AMEs can provide sponsorship and monitoring for such conditions when required by the FAA for medical certification purposes.
Aviation Medical Examiners
- Aviation Medical Examiner Home Page
- Aerospace Medical Certification Subsystem (AMCS) Online Support
- Aviation Medical Examiner Training
- Federal Air Surgeon's Medical Bulletin
- Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
- Regional Flight Surgeon Contact Information
- When Your Pilots Use MedXPress …