This rulemaking arose from work by the National Space Council that led to Space Policy Directive-2 (SPD-2) in May 2018, directing the U.S. Department of Transportation to streamline the regulations governing commercial space launch and reentry licensing. Part 450 consolidates multiple regulatory parts to create a single licensing regime for all types of commercial space flight launch and reentry operations, and replaces prescriptive requirements with performance-based criteria.
- Streamlined Launch and Reentry License Requirements on Federal Register
- Streamlined Launch and Reentry License Requirements Final Rule with Preamble (PDF)
- Part 450 Fact Sheet
- Part 450 FAQs (PDF)
- An overview of Advisory Circular (AC) 450.115-1 (PDF) High Fidelity Flight Safety Analysis;
- How this AC relates to the sections of Subpart C in Part 450 Streamlined Launch and Reentry License Requirements; and
- AST responses to formal industry comments submitted.
Speakers include Erik Larson Ph.D., FAA/AST Contractor and President of Marigold RISE, and Paul Wilde, Ph.D., FAA AST Senior Technical Specialist.
Link to Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWWuvtl5vNs
Part 450 Workshop November 4-6, 2020
FAA hosted a virtual Part 450 Workshop on November 4-6, 2020. FAA's subject matter experts have reviewed each topic under Part 450 in chronological order. A crosswalk mapping tools that compare the new rule to legacy regulations was also presented on Day 3.
- Full Agenda (PDF)
- Slides for Day 1: Wednesday, November 4th (PDF)
- Slides for Day 2: Thursday, November 5th (PDF)
- Slides for Day 3: Friday, November 6th (PDF)
Video of the Part 450 Workshops are now available online:
Advisory Circulars and Other Part 450 Guidance
The table below contains all of the Part 450 Advisory Circulars and other guidance documents. The FAA seeks public comment on each of these documents for a period of 30 days when issued. FAA will issue an updated version if warranted based on comments received. Each guidance document contains a feedback form with instructions on how to provide feedback at any time during the process. The Part 450 Means of Compliance Table (PDF) provides an estimated issuance date for all planned AC.
|Part 450 Guidance Documents||Issuance Date|
|AC 450.101-1 High Consequence Event Protection (PDF)||May 20, 2021|
|AC 450.115-1 High Fidelity Flight Safety Analysis (PDF)||October 15, 2020|
|AC 450.141-1 Computing Systems and Software (PDF)||October 15, 2020|
- Statement of Policy on Waiving Ground Safety Regulations at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Vandenberg Air Force Base, Wallops Flight Facility, and Kennedy Space Center
Part 450 License
Lifecycle Management Process
(click to enlarge)
Pre-Application Consultation Guidance Materials for Applicants and Legacy Operators
- Part 450 Application Letter Template (PDF)
- Pre-Application Consultation Checklist (PDF)
- Part 450 Application Compliance Checklist (MS Excel)
- Application Requirement
- 450 Regulations
- Sample Compliance Document List
- Part 450 Crosswalk Mapping to Legacy Regulations (PDF)
- Crosswalk for Expendable Launch Vehicles
- Crosswalk for Reusable Launch Vehicles
- Crosswalk for Reentry Vehicles