The Aircraft Maintenance Division ensures the airworthiness of civil aircraft. We develop and standardize regulations, national directives, policy procedures, and advisory material governing the certification, inspection, and surveillance of maintenance aspects for General Aviation (GA); air carrier and commercial operators; airmen (e.g., mechanics, repairmen, and parachute riggers); avionics; and air agencies (e.g., Aviation Maintenance Technician Schools (AMTS) and repair stations).
- Provide technical assistance and support for special programs, such as rulemaking projects, damage-tolerance (DT), Repair Assessment Programs (RAP), and nondestructive inspection (NDI).
- Focal for the aviation outreach education program.
- Coordinate and track regulatory activities for the Flight Standards Service (AFS) with the Office of Rulemaking (ARM), the Office of the Chief Council (AGC), and other Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) elements.
- Support the development and implementation of the Safety Assurance System (SAS) component of Safety Management Systems (SMS).
- Focal for Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) functions concerning regulatory aspects of maintenance, repair, and alterations.
- Serve as the focal for all airworthiness FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) program initiatives, work programs, and procedures in collaboration with the General Aviation and Commercial Division .
Aircraft Maintenance Division shares responsibilities and balance the level of work between:
- Special Programs Branch
- Air Carrier Maintenance Branch
- Repair Station Branch
- General Aviation Branch
- Avionics Branch
- Technical Aircraft Maintenance Branch
Aircraft Maintenance Division Job Aids
- Major Repair and Alteration Data Approval (PDF)
- MPL Template – Excel (MS Excel)
- MPL Template – XML (XML)
Federal Aviation Administration Headquarters
Aircraft Maintenance Division,
5th Floor, 950 L'Enfant Plaza, S.W.
Washington, DC 20024
Phone: (202) 267-1675
Fax: (202) 267-1813
When submitting an email, please include contact information such as name, organization, and phone number.