Training & Certification Group
The Certification and Training Group strives to continually improve general aviation safety through certification and training of airmen (pilots, ground instructors, flight instructors, and remote pilots) and pilot schools under 14 CFR parts 61, 107, and 141. Specifically, the Group:
- Develops and implements standards, policies, and procedures related to airmen training and certification.
- Develops airmen training and certification requirements for operation of novel aircraft designs and unmanned aircraft.
- Develops Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) policies and manages all aspects of the program.
- Develops policy and standards for the approval of Aviation Training Devices (ATD) used to satisfy airmen experience and training requirements for pilot certification.
- Analyzes and takes appropriate action in response to National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) and internal FAA safety recommendations.
- Drafts and maintains sections in FAA Order 8900.1, Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS), in the Dynamic Regulatory System (DRS) related to airmen training and certification.
- Defines policies and procedures in FAA Order 8900.95, Designee Management Policy, for inspectors and designees conducting airmen certification activities.
- Coordinates with the Transportation Security Agency (TSA), Department of Justice (DOJ), and other agencies on security issues related to pilot certification.
- Participates in the International Helicopter Safety Foundation (IHSF).
- Manages all aspects including approval of Institutions of Higher Education’s authority to certify graduates for restricted privilege Airline Transport Pilot certificates.
- Coordinates with Flight Standards offices for review, approval, and policy for Airline Transport Pilot Certification Training Program (CTP) under 14 CFR part 141.
- Assists international offices with development and implementation of airmen certification bilateral agreements. Develops certification policy and procedures upon implementation.
Regulatory Areas of Responsibility
- Part 61 Certification
- Part 141 Certification
- Flight Instructor Refresher Course (FIRC) Development
- Current FIRC Provider List (PDF)
- FAA Industry Training Standards (FITS)
- FAA Approval of Aviation Training Devices and Their Use for Training and Experience (AC 61-136B)
- List of FAA Approved Aviation Training Devices (ATDs) (PDF)
- Institution of Higher Education’s Application for Authority to Certify its Graduates for an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate with Reduced Aeronautical Experience (AC 61-139)
- (List of) Institutions Authorized to Certify its Graduates for an Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) (PDF)
Phone: (202) 267-1100