National Runway Safety Plans
The National Runway Safety Plan outlines the transition from a reactive, event-based safety system to a proactive, risk-based system for Runway Safety. The comprehensive 3-year plan reaffirms our commitment to approaching Runway Safety corporately, working together across all FAA Lines of Business to achieve our Runway Safety goals.
- National Runway Safety Plan 2015 - 2017 (PDF)
- National Runway Safety Plan 2012 - 2014 (PDF)
- National Runway Safety Plan 2009 - 2011 (PDF)
The Runway Safety Report helps the FAA analyze the past year's progression and set safety priorities across the Agency. With our comprehensive Safety Management System (SMS), we now anticipate and correct risks before they jeopardize safety. By bringing attention to the potential hazards associated with the presence of aircraft, vehicles, and pedestrians in the runway surface environment, the FAA proactively improves flight safety.
The Runway Safety Group works with airlines, industry, pilot groups, and FAA lines of business to mitigate serious hazards on the runway. Working with all stakeholders, the FAA has developed innovative programs and techniques to reduce the number and severity of surface incidents.
- 2011 - 2012 Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- 2010 - Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- 2009 - Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- 2008 - Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- 2007 - Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- 2005 - Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- 2004 - Runway Safety Report (PDF)
- GAO Report on Runway Safety Sept. 2008 (PDF)
Policy Related Materials
- ICAO Runway Safety Manual (PDF)
- New Runway Safety Section for Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PDF)
Resources & Tools
- FAA / Air Safety Institute Runway Safety Flash Cards* (PDF)
- Runway Safety Best Practices Brochure* (PDF)
- FAA Guide to Ground Vehicle Operations* (PDF)
- Driving on the Airport (PDF)
- Focus on Hot Spots* (PDF)
- Vehicles and Pedestrians Poster (PDF)
- Pilot's Guide to Airport Signs and Markings* (PDF)
- Do You Know Your SIGNS & Markings? Placemat* (PDF)
- Airport Signs and Markings – Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Preventing Wrong Runway Departures (PDF)
- Signs & Markings Vehicle Dashboard Sticker* (PDF)
*A printed version of this publication may also be ordered from the FAA. To order Runway Safety publications please email Joe Ponte and include Title, Quantity and Physical Delivery Address in message.