Runway construction projects present hazards to aircraft and air traffic control operations. To help mitigate these hazards, the FAA created an initiative to increase awareness of closures and construction at various airports across the nation. This website is dedicated to helping pilots, airport authorities that sponsor construction projects, and air traffic managers avoid the hazards associated with construction.
ForeFlight, creator of the widely used ForeFlight Mobile Integrated Flight App, now includes FAA's Airport Construction Notice Diagrams, greatly improving their utility and accessibility during flight planning and safety preparation.
- Complete Runway Closure Checklist (PDF)
- New Runway Construction/Opening Checklist (PDF)
- Runway/Taxiway Opening (Re-opening) Checklist (PDF)
- Taxiway Construction Checklist (PDF)
- Partial Runway Construction Closure Checklist (PDF)
- Taxiway Re-labeling Checklist (PDF)
- Runway Decommissioning Checklist (PDF)
Pilots & Dispatchers
Managers & Airport Authorities
- Mitigating Hazards Associated with Airport Construction (PDF, 2.8 MB)
- Order JO 7110.65Y, Air Traffic Control
- Construction Best Practices (PDF)
- Runway/Taxiway Construction Risks
- Airport Construction Frequently Asked Questions (PDF)
- Digital Diagrams
- Advisory Circulars (ACs) for Airport Projects (Series 150)
- Airport Design & Engineering Standards
- FAA Safety Team (FAAST)
- Information for Operators (InFOs)
- Safety Alerts for Operators (SaFOs)
NOTAMs enhanced with airport diagrams help pilots mitigate risks during U.S. runway/taxiway construction. Read the AeroSafety World cover story
The FAA's Airport Construction Advisory Council (ACAC) is a collaborative working group comprised of FAA, ATO, NATCA, ACI-NA, ALPA, AOPA, Airline Dispatchers, IATA, ICAO, [NBAA] who help identify potentially dangerous situations during airport construction projects and work with airports, industry and international organizations to implement ways to significantly mitigate accompanying risks.
If you have an upcoming construction project, domestic or international, contact the ACAC at email@example.com.