This section includes general aviation information that includes Letters to Airmen, Flight Advisories, Notices of Proposal, Requests for Comment, and any aviation safety information we think should be publicized.
- FAAST Blast – December 2019
TWEB and TIBS in Alaska to Sunset
As part of FAA efforts to modernize and streamline service delivery, Flight Service will discontinue the Transcribed Weather Broadcast (TWEB) and Telephone Information Briefing Service (TIBS) in Alaska, effective January 1, 2020.
The TWEB is a continuous broadcast of aeronautical and meteorological information over a limited network of Very High Frequency Omni-Directional Range (VORs) and Non-Directional Beacons (NDBs) across Alaska. A similar broadcast service, the Hazardous Inflight Weather Advisory Service, known as HIWAS, is being discontinued in the contiguous United States (CONUS).
TIBS is a continuous telephone recording of meteorological information that pilots can access without going through a Flight Service specialist. TIBS was discontinued in the CONUS in September 2018.
A notice announcing the FAA’s intent to discontinue TWEB will be published in the Federal Register later this month. Please contact Flight Service on our feedback email if you have any questions at 9-AWA-ATO-SYSOPS-FS@faa.gov.
- Alaska Aviators Safety Handbook 2017 v3 (PDF, 6.7 MB)
- Notice To Pilots: Help Minimize The Disturbance Of Walrus Along The Chuckchi Sea Coast (PDF)
- MAT-SU CTAF Supplement Update Graphic (Effective 10/15/2015) (PDF, 1.7 MB)
- KNIK CTAF Supplement Update Graphic (Effective 10/15/2015) (PDF)
- Request for Comments: Underutilized or Redundant Instrument Approach Procedures the FAA Proposes to Cancel
- Flight Service Program Changes
- AMENDED - Notice Of Proposal To Modify, Expand and Establish Special Use Airspace Joint Pacific Alaska Range Complex Study (PDF, 3.7 MB)
- Denali Reporting Points (PDF, 4.9 MB)
- Fort Greely, Allen Army Airfield, Missile Defense Avoidance Area (PDF)