Office Phone: (405) 954-8427
Serve as the Office of Primary Responsibility (OPR) for the definition of Non-Federal AWOS acceptance criteria and type certification approval of Non-Federal AWOS in accordance with Advisory Circular 150/5220-16, Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) for Non-Federal Applications, for use in the National Airspace System (NAS). Our services support the safety mission within the FAA Administrator’s Strategic Plans and Goals.
Systems and Equipment
Provide engineering advisory circular compliance review and type certification approval of new Non-Federal AWOS systems, including hardware, software, firmware, configuration management, training materials and documentation, including test plans, procedures and results. Provide engineering reviews and approvals of manufacturer defined modifications and enhancements.
Provide review and suitable for use determination of standalone and backup weather equipment.
- Actively participate, as required, in the engineering evaluation of Non-Federal AWOS systems and components.
- Provide engineering support to airports, consultants and others in the siting, installation and use of non-Federal AWOS systems and standalone and backup weather equipment.
- Provide engineering and programmatic support to active and potential manufacturers of non-Federal AWOS systems as well as third party training providers and others throughout the FAA.
- Maintain and issue updates to the Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) for Non-Federal Applications Advisory Circular, 150/5220-16.
- Maintain and update the list of type-certified non-Federal AWOS systems and manufacturers and the list of standalone and backup weather equipment found to be suitable for use.
- Maintain and issue updates to the Siting Criteria for Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) Order, 6560.20.
- Automated Weather Observing Systems (AWOS) for Non-Federal Applications, Advisory Circular 150/5220-16
- Siting Criteria for Automated Weather observing Systems (AWOS), 6560.20
- List of Type-Certified Non-Federal AWOS Systems and Manufacturers (PDF)
- Approval of Standalone and Backup Weather Equipment (PDF)