Noise Policy Review
Read the Noise Policy Review Federal Register Notice.
Add your comments for the Noise Policy Review. The new comment deadline is 9/29/2023.
Review the Foundational Elements of the FAA Civil Aircraft Noise Policy.
The FAA is reviewing our noise policy as part of our ongoing commitment to address aircraft noise. This effort builds on our work to advance the scientific understanding of noise impacts as well as the development of analytical tools and technologies.
Noise Policy Review Videos
The Noise Policy Review is evidence-based, thorough, and collaborative. We are considering findings from ongoing noise research, including the Neighborhood Environmental Survey which provided an updated dose-response curve, and other research related to health impacts, speech interference, sleep disturbance, and economic impacts. We are examining the distribution of environmental risks, tradeoffs, and resulting impacts across communities.
As part of the review, we are:
- Looking at our current use of DNL or Day-Night Average Sound Level as the primary noise metric for assessing cumulative aircraft noise exposure.
- Reviewing whether to continue to use the DNL 65 dB level as the metric and threshold for determining significant noise impacts in environmental reviews under the National Environmental Policy Act or the definition of the limit of residential land use compatibility.
- Considering if and how alternative noise metrics may be used in lieu of or in addition to DNL to better inform agency decisions and improve FAA’s disclosure of noise impacts.
The FAA is engaging with the public and other stakeholders through meaningful opportunities in order to learn more about aviation noise, hear from the FAA, and provide input for the agency’s consideration. The latest database of public comments about the FAA’s noise policy review can be found here. It will be updated throughout 2023.
Noise Policy Review Webinars
The FAA held four webinars to discuss how we are reviewing our current aircraft noise policies. FAA provided an introductory overview during the first 25 minutes of each webinar. The presentation slides can be accessed here. Each of the webinars was recorded and a text-searchable transcript of each webinar, including the question-and-answer sessions, is available at the links below. To learn more about the policy review, the impacts of aviation noise exposure, how the FAA analyzes and communicates with communities regarding noise impacts, and manages and responds to aviation noise concerns, please review the webinar recordings and transcripts below.
- Noise Policy Review Webinar #1
- Noise Policy Review Webinar #2
- Noise Policy Review Webinar #3
- Noise Policy Review Webinar #4