A Designee is a representative of the FAA Administrator authorized by law to examine, test, and/or make inspections necessary to issue airman or aircraft certificates. However, a designee is not considered an employee of the U.S. Government, and is not federally protected for the work performed or the decisions made as a designee.
- Aviation Medical Examiner (AME)
- Designated Engineering Representative (DER)
- Designated Manufacturing Inspection Representative (DMIR) and Designated Airworthiness Representatives – Manufacturing (DAR-F)
- Designated Mechanic Examiner (DME)
- Designated Parachute Rigger Examiner (DPRE)
- Designated Pilot Examiner (DPE)