This Desk Reference provides explanatory guidance for environmental impact analysis performed to comply with Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) Regulations for Implementing the Procedural Provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act (CEQ Regulations) (40 Code of Federal Regulations CFR) parts 1500-1508), U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) Order 5610.1C, Procedures for Considering Environmental Impacts, and Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Order 1050.1F Environmental Impacts: Policies and Procedures.
This Desk Reference is designed to complement FAA Order 1050.1F and should therefore be used in conjunction with the Order. FAA Order 1050.1F defines basic terms that are used throughout the Order and this Desk Reference. In addition, FAA Order 1050.1F outlines the requirements under the FAA's National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) implementing procedures.
The Desk Reference is designed to be updated regularly based on changes to existing environmental laws and regulations. The Desk Reference chapters may be updated independently, as needed. The full version will always contain the most up to date chapters. Each chapter will indicate date of revision within the document. In addition, each individual chapter is listed below indicating the date of revision.
Version 4 of the Desk Reference includes updates, modifications, and clarifications to the June 2023 version based on its review by representatives from across the Federal Aviation Administration lines of business as well as to reflect new policy and guidance.
1050.1F Desk Reference
- Chapter 1. Air Quality – July 2015 (PDF)
- Chapter 2. Biological Resources – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 3. Climate – July 2015 (PDF)
- Chapter 4. Coastal Resources – June 2023 (PDF)
- Chapter 5. Department of Transportation Act, Section 4(f) – July 2015 (PDF)
- Chapter 6. Farmlands – June 2023 (PDF)
- Chapter 7. Hazardous Materials, Solid Waste, and Pollution Prevention – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 8. Historical, Architectural, Archeological, and Cultural Resources – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 9. Land Use – September 2023 (PDF)
- Chapter 10. Natural Resources and Energy Supply – September 2023 (PDF)
- Chapter 11. Noise and Noise-Compatible Land Use – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 12. Socioeconomics, Environmental Justice, and Children's Environmental Health and Safety Risks – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 13. Visual Effects – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 14. Water Resources – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 15. Cumulative Impacts – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 16. Irreversible and Irretrievable Commitment of Resources – February 2020 (PDF)
- Chapter 17. Specific Guidance on use of FAA Categorical Exclusions – February 2020 (PDF)
- Aviation Emissions and Air Quality Handbook – January 2015
- Guidance of Quantifying Speciated Organic Gas Emissions from Airport Sources – September 2009 (PDF)
- Select Resource Materials and Annotated Bibliography on the Topic of Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs) associated with Aircraft, Airports, and Aviation – July 2003 (PDF)
- Section 106 Handbook – June 2015 (PDF)
- Approval of Aerobatic Practice Area (APA) Noise Equivalent Methodology – October 2012 (PDF)
Comments or Questions
If you have questions or comments on the Desk Reference please contact the Manager of the Environmental Policy and Operations Division in the Office of Environment & Energy at (202) 267-3576.
Last updated: Wednesday, September 13, 2023